Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about blade stiffeners

Question about blade stiffeners

Please bear with me, as I am new at this. I've lurked here for a while but have never posted before. I am making the move from home remodeling/general DIY to serious woodworking and recently replaced my Bosch benchtop table saw with a Jet cabinet saw. This is my first serious table saw, so I am still learning the specifics.

I know that many say blade stiffeners are gimicks, but I am a sucker for shiny metal things. I ordered a Forrest woodworker II blade and the 5 inch stiffeners from Lee Valley (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...080,51225&ap=2). The problem with these stiffeners is that they are a pair, so mounting them in the fashion that seems most obvious to me offsets the blade by several mm. When I look at the arbor there is what looks like a washer identical the one that goes between the blade and nut, but it seems to be fixed to the spindle (please correct any incorrect terminology). It seems to me that the lee valley stifeners should replace both this "washer" and the opposite one that sandwiches the blade, thus keeping the blade in (theoretically) the same alignment. I don't like the idea of changing the blade's alignment because if the stiffeners have to be removed for a deeper cut the zero-clearance insert is rendered useless.

My question is: Is the "washer" closest to the belt supposed to be fixed and if so what is the proper prescription for using these stiffeners?

Thanks.

I have been using the Forrest Woodworker II with a 5" Forrest Stiffener on my table saw for over 20 years. The Forrest Stiffener is just one plate. It goes on the nutside of the blade. In my own use I do not consider a stiffener a gimick. I also have a Forrest stiffener on my radial arm saw. I do not cut without one.

http://www.forrestblades.com/dampner.htm

Are the Forrest stiffeners cupped on the side that goes against the blade?

Since the ones I have are cupped would it be inadvisable to just use one?

I am thinking I should order the Forrest and try the ones I have on my 12 inch Bosch miter saw.

Ditto on Forrest WWII and their stiffener for 20 years. It definitley makes a difference. When I need more depth of cut and have to cut without the stiffener, the cut quality is less.

Use a full kerf blade, and you won't need a stiffener.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    I ran stiffeners for years with TK blades and have never heard them called gimmicks; you may want to think about your sources ;-) You don't mention the power of your saw but if it is 3HP or more, full kerf blades should do fine alone.

I recently spent a good amount of time dialing my saws in even better than before (thanks to a lot of the info learned here and the fact that I had the saws torn down anyway). I am running without stiffeners now and see no difference even on bevel cuts (so far). I am tracking the quality as I want to report a few months down the line. I should emphasize that I am a hobbyist and am not in a hurry so I am "more gentle" than one probably needs to be. IMHO, I don't see them as a disadvantage so I may end up filing them under "couldn't hurt" but time will tell.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-07-2009 at 10:24 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

My DeWalt RAS , 14" blade with a thick plate and a 3/16" kerf, has what I would call blade stiffeners as part of the OEM set up. They are like the washers on a TS but much bigger, though not a full 5". I think the inside washer on most US cabinet saws is fixed, it certainly is on my PM66. I have never used stiffeners on the cabinet saw as the cut quality is fine with a full kerf blade. but i don't see them as a gimmic. Might be more appropriate for TK blades or severe bevel cuts? I can't imagine needing the stiffeners with my WWII on 90 degree cuts, the quality of cut scarcely needs any improvement.

I used them all the time with my old contractor saw, especially with thin-kerf blades but since switching to a cabinet saw I haven’t felt the need for them. I really liked the Craftsman set as they weren’t as thick as those you purchased but sold them with the contractor. I know what you mean though if you put one on the left side of the blade now you have to make a new zero clearance plate. I do like to use them when cutting tenon shoulders so I think I’ll try the Forest that Chris suggests.
    AB

Quote Originally Posted by Zach England View Post
    Are the Forrest stiffeners cupped on the side that goes against the blade?

Since the ones I have are cupped would it be inadvisable to just use one?

I am thinking I should order the Forrest and try the ones I have on my 12 inch Bosch miter saw.

The Forrest stiffeners are flat plates.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Use a full kerf blade, and you won't need a stiffener.
    +1 for no stiffener for full kerf blade
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Thanks. I have ordered the Forrest stiffener and a thin kerf blade.

So the washer IS fixed, not just stuck?

Someone mentioned the HP of the saw. It is only 1.5 because for the time being I do not have an available slot for a 220 breaker. At some point I'll remedy this and upgrade the motor, but for now I don't quite see the need for my applications. Last night I was cutting 2 inch oak across the grain with a lowly Irwin blade and it was smooth as (proverbial) silk. I am yet to try any of the Forrest blades, so I am sure it can only get better. The Jet saw is an epiphany after a life using portable/contractor style saws for my entire young lifetime.

But can you please explain the relationship between HP and flutter? It seems to me that the flutter would be more a product of mechanical limitations and imperfections than of torque.

Also, for those saying they have never heard the stiffeners called a gimmick, do a search for "blade stiffener" on these boards. There are plenty of naysayers.

Thanks for the info. I'm glad to have the advice.

I also wouldn't call a stiffener a gimmick. I also think (my .02) that you should use one if you have TK blade. If you can swing a full kerf, I think only then it would be a "gimmick". Or should I say, it would not help a whole lot, but it may help.

Flutter vs hp? I don't know, but my .02 is if you don't have enough hp to keep the blade at full speed, then you get flutter?

If you bought the type of "stiffeners" that come as a pair, you MUST use both parts. They are designed generally with a raised ring around the perimeter of one side. These raised areas grip the blade equally on both sides of the blade exerting equal force in the same part of the blade plate. If you don't use one of the stiffeners, you may exert force in diffeerent parts of the blade causing the blade to have slight cone shape. This is very bad for the blade and even worse for the quality of the saw cut.

The Forrest "stiffener" is only a flat plate where the whole plate rests against the blade plate. It's intent is to add spinning mass which, in theory, results in a better cut. Because it's a flat plate, it can be mounted singly on only one side of the blade.

So, in summary, if the "stiffeners" you have comes as a pair, you MUST use both. If the "stiffener" is a single plate, then you only need one. The ones that come as a pair will move the kerf necessitating changing your rip scale and making new zero clearence inserts.
    Last edited by Howard Acheson; 06-07-2009 at 4:20 PM.
    Howie.........

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Acheson View Post
    So, in summary, if the "stiffeners" you have come as a pair, you MUST use both. If the "stiffener" is a single plate, then you only need one. The ones that come as a pair will move the kerf necessitating changing your rip scale and making new zero clearence inserts.
    Thanks. That answers my question. I'm not willing to have to offset the insert and rip scale. I tried to put them on my miter saw but there is not enough clearance. I now have some very nicely machined paperweights.

If your arbor runs true with low runout and low vibration, you shouldn't need stiffeners with a good blade....full kerf or thin. Stiffeners can dampen some vibrations if they exist, but they don't typically eliminate the cause. Better to get to the root of the problem than to band-aid it.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....