Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Signing your work ...

Signing your work ...

I would like some suggestions about what works best for signing lathe turned pieces.

I have seen some use a sharpie and seal over it but I like the burned in look better.

Watching Malcolm Tibbetts new video (very good BTW) I noticed his engraving tool allows for very small lettering which I like.

What has worked well for you guys?

Thanks ... Tim
    Last edited by Tim Boger; 06-06-2009 at 7:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Boger View Post
    I would like some suggestions about what works best for signing lathe turned pieces.

I have seen some use a sharpie and seal over it but I like the burned in look better.

Watching Malcolm Tibbetts new video (very good BTY) I noticed his engraving tool allows for very small lettering which I like.

What has worked well for you guys?

Thanks ... Tim
    Tim, I tried using one of those cheap wood burners and it was like trying to write with your foot then Tony Greenway talked me into buying a burnmaster and man that thing is like writing with a expensive pen...try one and youll buy one
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Quote Originally Posted by David Christopher View Post
    Tim, I tried using one of those cheap wood burners and it was like trying to write with your foot then Tony Greenway talked me into buying a burnmaster and man that thing is like writing with a expensive pen...try one and youll buy one
    Thanks for the suggestion Dave, I'll take a look at it.

Tim

I used to use a small roller ball pen but now.....

I used to write on the bottom with a very fine rollerball precision pen and could write very small, I even signed my miniatures. Now I use a vibrating engraver to do it, it blends in and does not detract from the piece or hide any thing. It is fast and does a great job.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Tim - I use a black archival pen (India ink) to sign my work. Let it dry for a minute and it's ready for finishing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

So far, the best I've been able to come up with is the archival pen that Steve mentioned.

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

Thanks guys for your help!

I know this may sound like a dumb question but I want to be certain, I'm thinking when signing with an archival pen it would be done before any finish went on. Is that correct?

Tim

Tim - sign on bare wood and let it dry for a minute or so and then you can apply your finish of choice.

I did forget to sign one time and signed after about 3 coats of poly - with the intention of applying more poly after it dried. Didn't work. Learned that when using an archival pen - sign on the bare wood and you are good to go!
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Tim - sign on bare wood and let it dry for a minute or so and then you can apply your finish of choice.

I did forget to sign one time and signed after about 3 coats of poly - with the intention of applying more poly after it dried. Didn't work. Learned that when using an archival pen - sign on the bare wood and you are good to go!
    Thanks Steve, this really sounds like a better technique than burning it in as I have been doing.

Tim

I use a archival pen and india ink like Stever on bare wood.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Where does one find an archival pen and are there quality differences?
    Thanks for the input...
    Is it OK for vegetarians to eat animal crackers??

Brian - any art supplies store carries them. I picked mine up at a local Ben Franklin but have seen them at Michaels and Hobby Lobby.
    Steve

Made my own woodburner from a battery charger. Gets hotter than the little cheapies. My trembling hands make either, woodburning or ink, look just as bad.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

I use a Pigma Micron 005, I have found no finish that affects this ink. The 005 is a very fine lined pen and they have bigger ones. In the past I've tried burning and vibrating but the Pigma gets me a better looking signature. I got mine at Pat Catans but you should be able to find them at places like Michaels or A.C. Moore.

Another vote for archival pen. I buy them at Walmart. At my Wallyworld, they are in some not-in-the-logical-place area so you may have to do a search and rescue.

I also have a Burnmaster but it's buried somewhere in the shop. Once I set up a finishing table I will begin to use the Burnmaster.