Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: will this work like anchor seal?

will this work like anchor seal?

i was searching for anchor seal and i found this product. it is closer to me than the nearest place that has anchor seal, and it is cheaper.

it is a sealer to put on the end of logs when making a log house so that the ends dont crack. i figure that if it works on logs that are out side it should work really well on logs inside.
    sikkens Log Pre-Treatment
    http://www.nam.sikkens.com/product.c...egory=log-home
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Curtis - according to their info, it looks like it should work. They do provide an email address and also a phone # - so get in touch with them and see what they have to say.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Curtis,
    If you read the MSDS sheet it seems to be a bit toxic. You really don't want to get it in your eyes or on your skin. And certainly you don't want to breathe any in. If it came to a choice between this and anchorseal, I'd choose the anchorseal. Of course one of the main ingredients is linseed oil... so I don't know how toxic that is.

If you want something "on the cheap" go down to your local paint store (or Lowes/Home Depot) and get a couple gallons of mis-matched color latex paint that customers didn't take. That's what I use now... I got a five gallon bucket of paint from a friend who doesn't need this color for their house anymore.

Seems to me, any cheap finish product would work.

Just keep slapping a coat on now and then...

they said it should work but no gaurentee. think i should test it out on the maple i just got?

closest place that has anchor seal to me it a 3 hour round trip. to allentown and back

So order it Curtis. I have to drive 4 hrs round trip and just order it. I agree with Jim it looks like it might be toxic and sure wouldn't want any on my skin or breath that stuff while sanding.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

You may find it soaks in more than the anchorseal and thus discolors the wood. That might not be a good thing.

well, after reading some of the MSDS for some of the finishes we use around here, this product isnt much of a worry to me. i will try it and see how it works. the place near me has it for $19. even if it does soak in and change the color that portion will most likely be cut off or i will just let it spault. the reply i got from the company said that it should work well for this use. they said they have gotten a couple replys from people using it for blanks

Curtis, you can give it a try, and if it works, you win. If it doesn't seem to delay, or halt entirely, the checking of blanks, you can order Anchor Seal directly from UC Coatings, at 251-445-2388. No travel involved. I ordered 10 gallons of it twice. First time was $100.00 shipping included. Second order was $110.00 shipping included. 10 gallons lasts me about 2.5 years.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Summer Road Trip

I'm not sure if this belongs here or in off topic forum. Feel free to move if necessary. I was hoping to stick to the turners on the site. We are planning on a 2 week road trip this summer. Our itinerary is not set in stone but if I am driving by your house and time allows I'd love to pop in and say Hi. I may even throw in a few chunks of walnut if there is potential for a few wood swaps along the way. Our route plans are as follows.
    Mid MI thru Chicago to Mount Rushmore.
    From Mount Rushmore to Cody Wyoming (my estranged sis lives there, hope to find her)
    Cody to Yellowstone
    Yellowstone to Glacier Nat'l Park
    Glacier thru Salt lake City to Grand Canyon
    Grand Canyon to Carlsbad caverns
    Carlsbad to New Orleans to Mobile Al back to Mid MI
    Last edited by John Fricke; 06-05-2009 at 9:39 PM. Reason: add title
    If it ain't broke...fix it anyways...that's why you told your wife you needed all those tools.

My gramps' fav.....If you don't stop, you won't be stuck.

Oh......and most importantly........I am 362 miles mostly south and a little east of Steve Schlumpf.
    Support the Creek
    for only .0164 cents / day

Curtis, The Woodcraft store in Harrisburg has got to be less than an hour away from Paradise. They carried Anchorseal in the past.

thanks terry, i didnt realize there was one there

Blog Entries
    Anchor Seal works like Anchor Seal.

You can order it direct from the company online, I get 5 gallons shipped and its cost effective over grabbing a gallon of sealer from woodcraft or rockler in store.

$69.50 for 5 Gal. Free Shipping to Eastern States.

*EASTERN STATES INCLUDE AL, AR, CT, DE, FL, GA, IA, IL, IN, KY, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MS, NC, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, SC, TN, VA, VT, WI and WV.

https://www.uccoatings.com/Home/WebS...roductSKU=AS5G
    Last edited by Scott Hubl; 06-07-2009 at 11:38 PM.
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

I had occasion to talk to Anchor Seal several years ago and I asked why use their product and not a latex paint. Their reply was because the purpose of the sealer is to keep the wood from drying out thru the ends. Paint and other similar wood finishes are made to breathe, hence moisture moves thru them. Anchor Seal is meant to seal, preventing moisture from moving thru them. I've been successfully using Anchor Seal ever since. Our club buys it in 55 gallon drums and sells it, non-profit- for about 8 bucks a gallon which includes the cost of good containers.

I'm with Jim. I grab un-sold latex at Lowes/Depot and lather it on. No problems yet.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots