Thread: Bandsaw magic

Bandsaw magic

I'm sure a lot of you have already seen this. What caught my eye was the hairpin turns. Come to find out it's the tires and blade. Reminds me of golf equipment. It's in the shaft and the ball. Enjoy....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXW55S4X9zo
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

you sure its the tires? ive heard its the carter stabalizers with a real thin blade along with it being in pine that lets him do those tight curves at speed
    If you don't make mistakes, you don't learn.

-- Sam Maloof

Blog Entries
    I think that the bulk of that magic is a 1/8" blade going through pine. The guides probably help too. I don't think polyurethane tires would make much of a difference with this.

It looks like talent to me.

You know Mike, I'm not sure. Actually until it was mentioned, I never thought of the tires. I know sugar pine saws like butter. I've been cutting professionally on a band saw for 42 years and there is so much advanced technology out there I don't know about. The bandsaw I use hasn't had a part change since it was bought in '59.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

The carter guide and thin blade do help, but what makes it go so fast is PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

I saw him do it, in person, at a show in Collinsville, Il several years ago. He still has all his digits, too!

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

It ain't the arrows, it's the indian.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Guys! It's the Craftsman saw
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Wow that's pretty neat

Blog Entries
    I watched the video closely paying attention to the blade. It still twists quite a bit, but still completes the cut.

I've seen similar demos at woodworking shows in Canada by a different person, who happened to be selling low tensile blades and cool blocks, claiming it was the blades and cool blocks that made it possible. The guy I saw also made a couple of miniature chairs from a single block of wood.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

If I tried that..

I would have no fingers.. at all..

None..

There would be fingers everywhere..

but not on my hands..