Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just harvested a buckeye Gloat

Talking Just harvested a buckeye Gloat

And of course, what good is a gloat without pics?
    No good at all, so I got a few.

I guess buckeye is a soft wood because it cut like buttah! I am a little dissapointed with the grain being rether plain but I haven't cut it up yet so who knows what else I will find inside when I do.

I'll have me another beer while I rest and then go back out to cut it up.

LOL yea you better have a couple. Congrats on some nice wood Mark. Looks like some good turning there.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Well, it is rather plain looking but I guess anything is going to be rather plain compared to the walnut I've been blessed with.

I got the large piece sliced up and ready for sealing.
    Time for another natty light Then I'll go finish up the rest and get em all sealed up.

I'd probably use that buckeye for practicing. Save the Walnut. I noticed in your video in the other thread your makeshift toolrest, the channel steel, is pretty wide. With it being so wide I notice you are holding your bowl gouge horizontally(flat). You might want to start looking at finding something a little narrower so you can get a little angle on your cuts. I think you'll find your turning will go much better. Back to the Buckeye- Boy, I can see some really cool bowls with that large voind that goes up the middle of that one log. Oh Yeah!!

Congrats on all the wood Mark! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks!

Brian, that is exactly why I harvested the buckeye,,,,to save the walnut. I'll see what I can do with the makeshift tool rest, I tried round stock but it kept rolling away from the work lol
    I am working on building a suitable tool rest for the machine.

Steve, do you have any doubt I wont post pics?

Ok so I'm not real impressed with the buckeye

I't as vanilla as wood comes realy. I guess I should sva judgement for when I have a piece finished. Its real wet I mean got me a shower wet...

I cut it all up and had my helper seal up the ends with anchorseal.

Picked out a piece and let my band saw have its way with it/...

I'm realy prety good at this part...

I was busy workin on it when me honey brought me some supper...What a sweetheart she is.

If it weren't for her I might forget ta eat...lol

I lost part of the bark but thats ok, I'll just take the rest off when I am done with it..

Its soaking in DNA now but I think it would have lost a bunch of moisture if I just left it on the lathe spinning overnight the way it was spraying all over.

Damn, look at the clock will ya, its almost me bed time. Guess I'll go close up the shop...

Well today wasn't a total loss...

It's probably better the wood is plain, if it was really awesome you'd end up saving it just like the walnut. Gotta have practice wood sooner or later.

BTW, nice dinner, lucky you.

Dinner was about as exciting as the wood Alex. But both filled the apropriate void

Yeah, I've been known to get lucky at times...

I realy am dissapointed I lost the piece of bark. I realy like the bark on the buckeye and such is why I made the NE. I'll be more carefull with the next piece.
    Last edited by Mark Norman; 06-01-2009 at 2:25 AM.

I rarely do natural edges and someone might be able to give you more/better information, but at our guild they did a NE demonstration and the guy said wood intented for NE work has to be harvested a certain time of the year. Otherwise when the wood shrinks/moves the bark will just snap off.

The guy who did the demonstration on NE seemed like he was just scratching the surface, it seems there is a whole science to natural edges.

Quote Originally Posted by alex carey View Post
    I rarely do natural edges and someone might be able to give you more/better information, but at our guild they did a NE demonstration and the guy said wood intented for NE work has to be harvested a certain time of the year. Otherwise when the wood shrinks/moves the bark will just snap off.

The guy who did the demonstration on NE seemed like he was just scratching the surface,....
    Well I'll have to do an experiment then. I harvested this one in spring when it was wet as hell and in full bloom, I'll harvest the other late in the fall after it looses its leaves and see what kind of diffrence it makes, the tree will no doubt have a lower MC in the fall here in Ca.
    it seems there is a whole science to natural edges.
    I'm thinking a lot o glue is in order

pull out the roots of that tree. it is well know for root burls
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Another thing that I learned at the Woodcraft "bowlturning bootcamp" was that the direction of cut is important when doing NE. You should cut from the NE in toward the center of the bowl (either inside or out) rather than the other way. I'm guessing that you were cutting toward the NE rather than the other way around.
    Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly and for the same reason.

MMMMMMM.......nothin like curlies and chili dogs........ohhhhhh I'm thinkin of curly fries.......never mind.
    If it ain't broke...fix it anyways...that's why you told your wife you needed all those tools.

My gramps' fav.....If you don't stop, you won't be stuck.

Oh......and most importantly........I am 362 miles mostly south and a little east of Steve Schlumpf.
    Support the Creek
    for only .0164 cents / day

Alex,
    I have been thinking about it and I would be willing to bet you are absolutely correct in that the wood would be better harvested in the fall.
    In the spring it is swelling with moisture and in its heavy growth cycle so it would make sense that the bark would be loose from the swelling from the growth and new bark is forming under the loose flaking stuff. In the fall the bark that formed in the spring would be well adhered to the tree and the moisture content would be much less.

Well Curtis, The root ball is not an option at this point. Its a neighbors tree and he just agreed for me to take the 'ugly' trunk part I had to leave the other half of the tree.

Thanks for the tip Rusty, I kinda knew that, maybe some glue would have been in order as well.

John, thanks for the chuckle

In any case I have some 'practice bowl blanks, and I can certianly use the practice