Thread: Mallet from an old bowling pin

Mallet from an old bowling pin

Here's a carving mallet, made from the wood inside a trashed bowling pin. Anyone know what kind of wood they are using inside those plastic coated pins, these days? Someone I know of had an old one, said the wood inside was maple - this one may be laminated maple, maybe not. Anyone comments always welcomed. ***NOPE***, pic won't load. don't know why. Well, here's the link if anyone wants to see it - I even changed the name of the file, but won't load again.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.p...35#post1145635
    Last edited by Mike Minto; 06-01-2009 at 9:32 AM.

Tough wood

I don't know why your pictures won't load. Most of the bowling pins I have seen are maple. I volunteered with the Boy Scouts for about 10 years. Some of the Scout troops in our area used old bowling pins to drive tent stakes. They should hold up when used as a mallet.

You posted the pic in the turners forum. I don't think you can load the same pic twice on here.
    If it ain't broke...fix it anyways...that's why you told your wife you needed all those tools.

My gramps' fav.....If you don't stop, you won't be stuck.

Oh......and most importantly........I am 362 miles mostly south and a little east of Steve Schlumpf.
    Support the Creek
    for only .0164 cents / day

Mike,
    The pic has to be different to be uploaded twice here. There is a way to point to the uploaded pic for reuse, but it seems awfully difficult to me. I just crop the pic a tiny little bit and rename it, then it will upload as a "different" pic.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!