Thread: Cane from QSWO and Ebony

Cane from QSWO and Ebony

Here's my first attempt at a cane - turned on the lathe as one piece of QSWO (sorta 'L' shaped, to allow for the handle) and then glued on a feature of Gaboon Ebony. Sanding was kinda difficult, it's not absolutely smooth, but I like it - has a slightly bulbous area about 1/3 down from the handle to grip when not walking. Looks kinda like a duck's bill, to me, the handle does. BLO finish. I'm about 6' 1"; fits me. Just looking forward to the future. Thanks for any comments.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Minto; 05-31-2009 at 8:12 PM.

Looks pretty good Mike! I like the idea of the raised area 1/3 down from the handle! Nice work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Goodl looking cane Mike. Handle looks good.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Good job with the cane, hopefully its a long time before you need it though!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

That cane looks very good. I especially like that handle design.
    Billy

Nice looking cane. I made one and struggled with the handle thru several versions. I like your solution. Do you have any concerns for strength on the end of the handle because of the grain direction?

Mark, I did wonder about that - I may keep it for myself and that way I won't have to worry about someone else falling because of it - canes are supposed to prevent that, haha. I thought about drilling a hole thru the handle, and filling it with a hardwood rod, as Jim Wester of North Bay Forge does - he recommends anyone making their own handle for an adze blade supplied by him do that - he tells he's never had one fail that he made that way. I don't know that anyone would put that much pressure on the handle of a cane, but you never know.