Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chainsaw recommendations

Chainsaw recommendations

I'm looking to get a chainsaw and would like to get your recommendations. I'm looking at the Stihl 290 sawboss and the Husqvarna 455 rancher. Any other recs. Thanks, Steve

Steve - there are lots of options out there when it comes to chainsaws and the decision really depends on what it is you plan on using it for. I chose the Husky 357xp because I wanted a saw that I was not going to outgrow anytime soon. Comes with a 20" bar and is wicked fast! Good luck on your research! Looking forward to seeing photos of what you decide on!

Here is the specs on the Husky 357xp: http://www.husqvarna.com/us/forest/p...-saws/357-xp-/
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Stihl Farm Boss

I bought the Stihl Farm Boss and have been very happy with it. It replaced a Poulan chain saw that was hard to start and would die within minutes. The Stihl starts the first time and just purrs along. I am very happy with it.

Ron

I also went with the Husqvarna

I got a 350 with a 20" bar almost ten years ago and it has served me very well. Over the years I have put hundreds of trouble-free hours of cutting even the hardest of woods.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Hoping to get one this week. This would be just for woodturing blanks. Thanks, Steve

6. In my area, pro loggers use Jonsered & Huskies..I do too..bar length is your preference, but remember the longer they are the harder to control and remember where the tip is ALL THE TIME

Steve,
    When evaluating different chainsaw models, consider the weight of the saw. If you are in good shape it may not matter, but --- I wanted a bigger saw than the one I actually chose due to its lighter weight. In hindsight my decision was indeed correct, as I would have been physically unable to use a larger saw for more than a few minutes. The saw I bought has been sufficient, and am physically able to use it long enough to get some useful work done.
    Richard in Wimberley

Richard, what saw did you get and how much did it weigh? The ones that I'm am looking at weigh about 13 pounds. Thanks, Steve

Steve,
    Got an Echo 440CS w/ 18" bar. Would have to go weigh it. Bought the Echo because my 25 year-old Echo trimmer still starts and cuts like it was brand new, and they still use the same engine brand. Not sure about the smaller models available at the box stores, as they had to special order mine. Maybe it is a cut above (as it were) the basic homeowner models.
    Richard in Wimberley

Edit, sorta: Also after you have some experience chainsawing, you may want to replace the standard chain with one that lacks the safety/anti-kickback teeth. Others here will know the correct terminology for chain types.
    Richard in Wimberley

I have a Stihl MS 310 with a 24" bar. I don't have to use it a ton but when I do it does the job great. I haven't had any problems with it yet either.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pennington View Post
    Thanks for the replies, guys. Hoping to get one this week. This would be just for woodturing blanks. Thanks, Steve
    If thats the case you dont need a large saw. If you are not felling trees and limbing, just cutting say 12" stuff I wood consider an electric chain saw. No messing with pre-mix fuel and such. Just a thought.
    That being said, I just finished felling a buckeye with my trusty 350 and I love the reliability of it.

I just bought one of those small Homelite electrics, this last weekend. We'd only needed a chainsaw for the occasional household tasks, mostly cutting up fallen treebranches, etc.

I can't speak to its reliability, but it works fine. Cuts cleanly and quickly, within the limits of its short bar, easy to control.

But what really struck me was first, how quiet it was, and second, that since it doesn't spew burnt two-cycle fumes, it was a tool that I could use in the workshop, instead of having to take the work outside.

Stihl 310 with 20" bar. Great saw.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I got a couple beavers stretched out and strapped down to some 2x2 oak poles.... you ought to see them light up when I pull their starter cords.

actually Stihl, Husqa or Jonsarad are all reliable

I have a Stihl, because first it is good, but secondly I bought from a local dealer. If there is a problem they will fix it.... I am not too sure if I would buy a Stihl from one of the Box stores that the local Stihl dealer would fix the one bought from the box store.

I buy all my outdoor power equipment from the same dealer and they service me well when needed.

that might be more important than the brand.

joe
    Last edited by Joe Mioux; 05-31-2009 at 9:41 PM.
    Vortex! What Vortex?