Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chainsaw recommendations

I picked up a craigs list used elec 4 hp.. I absolutely love it....

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Scarfo View Post
    I picked up a craigs list used elec 4 hp.. I absolutely love it....
    WOW, a 220V chain saw, didn't know they even existed (BTW, you do know that a 110V motor, to produce 4 HP would draw 27 amps and have a starting surge somewere around 40 amps)
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Forgot to mention, strongly recommend use of Sta-Bil or other fuel stabilizer in all small engine fuel, all year round. Keeps the gas from turning into goo between jobs. Also use it in my tractor diesel fuel, as the tractor gets infrequent use since we moved here. Helps keep the injectors clean.
    Richard in Wimberley

stihls, bars and gas

I run a stihl 032 ( older saw) it originally came with a 20 in bar. I had them replace that with a 24 inch bar so i dont bend over as much when I am running it, even with a full comp chain ( as many teeth as you can get) it will pull 18 inches of wood at a time no problem. to rip lengthwise you can use the extra bar length. as for chain and bar if you are cutting good wood and clean, chisel teeth are great. if you like to play in the dirt and mud then semichisel or round last longer, learn to sharpen your chain and the saw will do 4 times the work of a dull one and work you alot less, good safety gear is most needed for occasional cutters.
    gas, try to find the nonethanol added gas, it prevents the scoring of the rings better( alcohal cleans the cyclinder too well)and stabil is suggested by my sawguy if you dont burn a can O gas often
    good luck

Thanks, I already have the chaps and will be getting the helmet with faceshield before I do any cutting. Thanks, Everyone, Steve

Hard to go wrong with Stihl

There are Chevy folk and there are Ford folk. There are Stihl folk and there are Husky folk. I got a Stihl 028 Wood Boss 20 inch bar years ago and have never had a bit of trouble. It's easy to work on too since parts do wear out ( chain sprocket, oiler gear, etc).
    Mike

.....God invented the wood lathe to keep the truly gifted from ruling the world.....

And while you are reading this, consider using your Stihl (or whatever brand) mesh faceshield (and safety glasses, of course) when turning some of that "tricky" wood with UFO potential. Better protection than that flimsy plastic shield.
    Richard in Wimberley

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dege View Post
    I just bought one of those small Homelite electrics, this last weekend. We'd only needed a chainsaw for the occasional household tasks, mostly cutting up fallen treebranches, etc.

I can't speak to its reliability, but it works fine. Cuts cleanly and quickly, within the limits of its short bar, easy to control.

But what really struck me was first, how quiet it was, and second, that since it doesn't spew burnt two-cycle fumes, it was a tool that I could use in the workshop, instead of having to take the work outside.
    I got my wife an electric saw called the Alligator -- looks like an oversize pair of loppers, with an 8" chain in one side. Works great for cutting fallen branches, far safer than a regular chainsaw for small work.

I've picked up several little electric saws at garage sales -- folks say they worked great at first, then with use started cutting much slower. They work great for knocking the corners off green blanks. Really lightweight, and not having exhaust fumes indoors is great. But for anything more than cutting off corners, I go outside and make noise.

Also know that safety chaps won't stop an electric chainsaw. A gas saw's sprocket will jam when it ingests the chap fibers, but an electric saw has higher torque and doesn't typically jam in time. Everyone does wear safety chaps, right? (I was shocked when my local saw shop had to special-order safety chaps, as they're not in demand enough to stock).

-jon-
    Happiness is a shiny new 3520b, and a reversing Jet 1220 for backup.
    Wading into the shavings, waving a fistful of Thompson gouges.
    Too new to be scared, too excited to think twice.

my dad has one of those electric ones and he cut down and cut up his oak tree no problem. They are really quite and the thing works like a champ. If you're gonna be around power when you use it you may want to consider one.

I just threw down the money for a Husqvarna 353. I have a Craftsman 18" that just wasnt cutting it, literally. It would bog down while cutting, even cross grain. Well that is a problem of the past cause this new Husky is a Monster. I was going to buy the 346 XP, but the salesman said that the extra 600rpm wasnt worth it concidering the 353 was $75 cheaper and other than the rev limiter being set, it was the same saw...so....

I dont have any reference to personal experience to the XP line, but the 353 ripped through a giant green and wet, silver maple log with no problem. Sounds real mean too!

Another case of getting what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Lindberg View Post
    WOW, a 220V chain saw, didn't know they even existed (BTW, you do know that a 110V motor, to produce 4 HP would draw 27 amps and have a starting surge somewere around 40 amps)

I was thinking the same thing....
    I did see a YouTube video with an older Stihl electric that the guy in the vid said was 220V (it looked it too--metal body on the saw, and a 48" bar). I have a very large gas saw, with 20,32, and 42" bars on it, but need a decent electric saw. I've looked at all the current Stihl and Husqvarna models, and the best I can find is somewhere between 13-14 amp draw at 110V, unless you want to go with the multi 1000 dollar Logosol that uses 3phase power for slabbing.
    Last edited by Nathan Hawkes; 06-22-2009 at 8:33 PM.

i have a crapsman 16"er and it performs well enough - just well enough. when i bought it i was not into much cutting of logs, just got it because i thought all guys should have a chain saw - which is correct, haha. anyway, it struggles somewhat when i'm sawing thru a large diameter cherry log, say 12" or larger; it gets the job done, but it's an effort on the saw and me, both. fwiw

Thanks for the ideas. I'm trying to decide between the Stihl saw boss or the 260. Really don't want to go more than 500 dollars for a saw. Thanks, Steve

Chainsaw selection!

For over twenty years I used a Husky and cut mostly firewood every year. You've gotten some good advice here, and hopefully can make an informed decision. Two years ago I gave my Husky to my son, and converted to an electric. It is a cheapy, that I found at a garage sale, but does what I need it to do aroound my shop. If one has health concerns, I submit that the electric is the way to go. Good luck on your selection.
    Bob
    Bob Hainstock

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pennington View Post
    Thanks for the ideas. I'm trying to decide between the Stihl saw boss or the 260. Really don't want to go more than 500 dollars for a saw. Thanks, Steve
    Steve, just for point of reference my new Husqvarna 353 was $425 with an extra chain, a 6 pack of mix oil, a gallon of bar oil and a new hat.