Thread: Thien Baffle update

Thien Baffle update

I've been using a Penn State DC2 2 h.p. dust collector for a while now. I've collected two bags like this since installing the baffle
    Bag.JPG
    I didnt' do anything to clean the filter-I wanted to see how much stuff would fine its way into the cartridge filter. I slapped the filter a few times before removing it. Here's what fell out.
    Ring.JPG
    Here's what made its way into the cartridge.
    Cartridge2.JPG
    This seems like quite a bit but based on what I was getting before installing the Thien Baffle it isn't bad at all. There are a few chips in the cartridge but not many. Most of what's in the filter is fine dust. This is mostly jointer/planer and table saw residue, some drum or spindle sander use in these two bags but not much.In the future I'll slap the filter/use compressed air to dislodge dust and let it fall onto the baffle. Another nice feature of having the baffle--changing bags is much less messy. Prebaffle, when I'd change bags everytime I bumped the D.C. there'd be a small "dustfall". With the baffle it mostly blocks the ring and filter so there's little or no dust falling. This alone makes it worthwhile to me. Any dust that falls on top of the baffle swirls into the bag when the D.C. is turned on.

Do Oneida, Clearview and other cyclone manufacturers need to plan to follow Chrysler and G.M. into bankrupcy? No. Is the baffle worth doing? In my opinion, yes. It seem easier to get fine dust out of filters than it is to get larger chips out of the filter. I'll still probably vacuum and/or wash the cartridge filter out every dozen bags or so.

Curt
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 05-30-2009 at 8:40 PM.

Nice job!

Is that a plywood donut for your filter?

If yes, you could neck it down and add ain 8" outlet tube that sits approx. 2" below your funnel and cut down on the dust in your filter even more.

Hi Phil

Thanks for checking in. Yes I had to mount my filter a little different because of the design of Penn State's spiral ramp. it works out well. I'd like to try the outlet tube. Do I want the tube to start 2" above the baffle and extend up into the filter? The more I can do to improve the efficiency of separation the better.

Thanks

Curt

I'd align the outlet tube so the bottom of the tube is approx. 1-2" below the inlet's top.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    I'd align the outlet tube so the bottom of the tube is approx. 1-2" below the inlet's top.
    Very good. I'll get some light sheet metal and do some experimenting. Thanks for your assistance.

Curt

disinterred thread and question for Phil

I've collected about 6 bags worth of chips & dust (mostly chips) since installing the outlet tube. There are NO chips making their way to the filter. I took the filter off and vacuumed it out last night--got about 1- 1 1/2 cups fine dust. For an outlet tube I bought the shortest roll of aluminum flashing Lowes had. Cut the tape, put it vertically in the DC collector ring, let it expand and taped both ends with Duct Tape. Taped it in place with more Duct Tape. Red Green would be proud. I have the outlet tube 2" above the baffle and the flashing is 10" so the outlet tube exhaust is 12" above the baffle.
    img_0288.jpg

My question: Is 10" enough of a tube or would separation be better if the tube were longer and reached into the filter further. More distance between the upper baffle surface & bottom of the outlet tube? The only thing to improve on would be fine dust separation and that's quite good now but could always get better.

Thanks for any insights.

Curt
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 08-04-2009 at 1:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    My question: Is 10" enough of a tube or would separation be better if the tube were longer and reached into the filter further. More distance between the upper baffle surface & bottom of the outlet tube? The only thing to improve on would be fine dust separation and that's quite good now but could always get better.

Thanks for any insights.

Curt
    Additional tube extending into the filter would only increase resistance, I'd say stop where you are.

8. Can you show a picture of the added nozzle

I've got a penn state DC similar to yours. Thanks for the pics. Can you show a picture of the actual baffle that you built. It sounds like you've had good success and I want to duplicate.

Jesse

Choupique Accordions
    Last edited by Jesse Choupique; 12-14-2010 at 9:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Choupique View Post
    I've got a penn state DC similar to yours. Thanks for the pics. Can you show a picture of the actual baffle that you built. It sounds like you've had good success and I want to duplicate.

Jesse

Choupique Accordions
    Hi Jesse

Here's the original post--http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?111775-Penn-State-amp-Thien-Baffle.

So far the search function in the new board software seems in need to some work. I'm sure Keith & Aaron's to-do list is lengthy at this point. The thing that was a little tricky was the spiral guide mechanism. Thank goodness it was spot welded and not too well.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 12-14-2010 at 11:33 AM.