Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ahoy...Boat Builders!

ive gotten into SUP lately. Stand Up Paddleboard. it got its start in Hawaii and is becoming popular all over the place. the boards range in price from $900-$1800. i have been renting a board whenever i go out but i found a website, Cheseapeak Light Craft that sells kits that you can build yourself. im planning on buying a kit and build one over the summer and use it this winter.
    i know its not a proper boat and the building methods and not quite typical but its as close to a boat that ive come across and look forward to building and using this new type of water toy. my friend and i really enjoy paddling around the shore line and in the intercostal water ways. it really open up a whole new area for recreational boating.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sean m. titmas; 05-31-2009 at 7:25 AM.
    S.M.Titmas.

"...I had field experience, a vocabulary and a criminal mind, I was a danger to myself and others."

-Anthony Bourdain

Hanover NH or Jensen Beach FL or somewhere in between
    Sean, looks like you're enjoying life on the water...I do like Florida. My wife and I have a little place of the east coast, but 'til we retire can only send a few weeks each year there. Please post photos of you and your SUP as you build.

Bill, I like Maine and the rich history of boat building in Maine...often my wife and I talk about the possibility of moving to Maine's mid-coast...
    ...were you at this year's Maine Boat Builders Show with The Compass Project?

Old, fat guy on the set of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" October '09

3. I built a Stevenson's Projects Weekender, one of those boats that appeared in Popular Mechanics back in the 1980s (the family has been selling plans since that time). I built the boat and launched it in 2001. I've been itching to build another one, but have since graduated to a 19' Potter production sailboat. I have plans for a small, 2-seater runabout and a Spindrift 12' dinghy (from B&B Yacht Designs ... I host their forum for them).

This pic is from my personal website at the time ... its heavily compressed as I was on dial up then, but it shows the boat pretty well. She now lives with my brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Hagan View Post
    I built the boat and launched it in 2001. I've been itching to build another one, but have since graduated to a 19' Potter production sailboat..
    Nice boat Frank, but I'm not sure I would agree that you've moved "up" to a potter. If that's a West Wight Potter you're referring to, they seem nice, but I'd rather have the weekender.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bailey View Post
    I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'll learn.
    Best quote ever. Pretty much my take on more than 75% of the stuff I do.

And to stay on topic, I've started in on a short little stripped kayak. I'll post some pictures once I have more to show.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Carey View Post
    Sean, looks like you're enjoying life on the water...I do like Florida. My wife and I have a little place of the east coast, but 'til we retire can only send a few weeks each year there. Please post photos of you and your SUP as you build.

Bill, I like Maine and the rich history of boat building in Maine...often my wife and I talk about the possibility of moving to Maine's mid-coast...
    ...were you at this year's Maine Boat Builders Show with The Compass Project?
    I was, Friday afternoon.
    Bill R., somewhere in Maine

I have a captains license and have sailed the Bahamas, Florida Keys, and Lakes Michigan and Superior. I live about 3 hours south of Lake Superior just east of the Mississippi.
    I came very close to buying a 35 ft Chris Craft motorboat from the estate of a friend. Finally decided I wanted to be on the water boating than on land looking out at the water. The motors and vast majority of the boat were in excellent condition. Could put my fist through some of the planking. Not to be for me. It now sits in a field about 100 miles west of Mpls-St Paul waiting for someone to see it and fall in love so the restorer can rebuild and sell for $45,000 or more. Sad to see it there. Sure do love the water!...

My experience with Long Island is limited to several visits to another friend's home in Montauk...and fishing with him and his dad in their Bertram.[/QUOTE]

thats in my general area.....and i have a bertram...wonder if i know your friends.

to answer the original question there are only so many things you can do with one life. just because i dont have the time to build a wooden boat hasn't stopped me from owning one and reading forums about people who do actually build them...hats off to you guys.

I know how you guys feel. I have the same disease.
    I have four kayaks that I have built over the last 3 years and am looking at building a one man canoe.
    My wife asked me why i want to build a canoe when we have 3 kayaks. I said why not.
    I have to say my wife is very under standing when it comes to my wood working. I have three boys (8,12,17) and they all like to help with the boat projects.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn witgen View Post
    I have three boys (8,12,17) and they all like to help with the boat projects.
    Now that's the best reason yet!! However, how about some pictures. John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Here are a few pictures of some of my boat projects.

Let me try that again.

Glen,

Great looking projects! Did you ever attend the old Great Lakes Small Craft Symposium in Michigan with any of your boats? They look very familiar

Mac

Last year was the first time that i attened the Symposium. I justed attened, I did not take any boats.
    The single kayak pictured I donated for a chuch auction. Its now hanging from the ceiling in a large cabin built in the 1930 up at Traverscity.

Hanover NH or Jensen Beach FL or somewhere in between
    Neal, spent some time at Skiffkits LLC and FishyFun.com today. I wanna go fishing in Alaska!!!

Old, fat guy on the set of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" October '09