Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Ahoy...Boat Builders!

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold E Schnitzer View Post
    I have plans for a Penobscot 17 and hope to start on her in the year ahead. My wife reminds me I've been saying that for three or four years now...

We went to the Wooden Boat Show at Mystic this past June and it was fantastic. I swore there and then that I'd get started this Fall. Is it Fall yet?
    Dunno where you live, but it is certainly Fall here in NY. Actually, it's almost Winter. I think we missed Fall, and am writing Al Gore to complain about it.

So, what's holding you back? Get some lumber and start building. Every P 17 I've seen has been gorgeous. When you start yours, grab a camera, take pictures along the way, and post them here. Start a new thread as your "build log."

It's Fall. No more excuses. We'll be watching.

2. boatbuilder -itis

Hello all, I am a professional boatbuilder in Jupiter Florida. First got the disease 44 yrs ago and can't seem to shake it. Lately we have been building sailing catamarans and high end sportfishers. Here's a blog address of the construction of a Tiki 30 we recently completed. David
    http://tiki30.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Carey View Post
    Allan, the "keen eared" young person that you are is exactly who I was 40 years ago. Don't think too much about the things you want to do...just do them and don't look back.
    Thanks for the advice.

My bulkhead patterns are all lined up on the strongback and I am tooking for some good lumber. Time to build a boat!

Hanover NH or Jensen Beach FL or somewhere in between
    Allan, take photos of your build and show them off (to us and others)! You've done good to start, now go forward slow and steady.

Old, fat guy on the set of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" October '09

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Carey View Post
    Allan, take photos of your build and show them off (to us and others)! You've done good to start, now go forward slow and steady.
    Time to cut some planks. Due to the nature of my shop and the available lumber, I am not going to use full-length strips. I'm trying to figure out the best way to join the planks end-to-end. I'll either do a finger joint, butt joint or use tiny wooden dowels.

If you think about using short planks, then you can create some interesting hull patterns.