Thread: Local wood for a skiff or dory

Bainbridge Island across Puget Sound from Seattle

Local wood for a skiff or dory

Hello,
    I'm new to this site. I wonder if anybody can offer an opinion on use of Pacific Northwest local varieties of wood for rowing skiff or dory. I refer to Western Red Cedar for planking, and Douglas Fir for framing and longitudinals.

I see most of the great authors on the subject, Chapelle, Gardner, Rabl, etc., addressed woods found back East, White Oak, Northern White Cedar, Cypress, Spruce, and so on.

I ask because I have a stock of Douglas Fir, and Western Red Cedar comes my way on occasion, too. I would like a decent boat that does not cost my pension to build. I will use marine fir plywood despite the checking problems since it is local and less expensive than imported. I am OK with epoxy and sheathing, not totally traditional. I want a boat to row and sail, not a museum piece.

Thanks, Gents, Doug Taylor, Bainbridge Island, WA

My reading of the subject would suggest that the Douglas Fir is pretty good wood for, pretty much, all parts of the boat. I wish I could get it easily in the Mid West.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Hanover NH or Jensen Beach FL or somewhere in between
    Doug...for framing DF is about as good a boat building material as you'll find. I like the smell of the shop when I'm using DF. And WRC is good planking stock; just keep in mind that it has little strength across the grain.

I build recreational rowing shells as well other small boat designs powered by oar, wind, and electricity. Many of my early boats were planked with WRC. WRC is less practical as a planking material presently due to quality issues, high cost, and spotty availability here on the east coast.

Plywood is another material I use a lot of. I strongly feel that a BS1088 grade product is essential in boat building.

Take a look at the following thread for more info -
    Rowboat/Sailboat Construction Questions
    Last edited by Nate Carey; 05-28-2009 at 7:18 AM.

Old, fat guy on the set of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" October '09