Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Simplest CNC router?

Simplest CNC router?

A guy builds a CNC router, mostly working on a small table with hand tools: Build Your Own CNC Router Machine The simplicity of the videos is impressive.

Any experience with this?

First of all, I have no experience with CNC but definitely have an interest in it. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this machine? What are your impressions of the kit - quality, durability, etc. What router do you use with it? I am sorry, I know these are newbie questions, but that is where I am right now. I appreciate your input.

Ed

i have retrofited several of my machines and think nothing of purchasing them and fitting them out, i would reccomend building one such as this or even consider joes cnc kit the experience would be worth more than the router!! i have no doubt on would have a blast doing it and it would perform and once the bug hits.............

looks complete to me all the right info is there

jim

Joes cnc is just about the same, and there are many people building his. I have not seen it personally, but there is a big following of his machines on the net... http://www.joescnc.com/

If you do decide to build a machine, mcmaster.com is your friend. Also, on buildyourcnc, the motor kit can be found cheaper...

Also, if you want a more rigid machine then mdf, you can build from 80/20 or go to faztec.com, and build from aluminum extrusions. The deflection over a long span is minimal and almost allows for a complete bolt together machine.

Wiring a cnc machine for stepper motors is simple, your are wiring four motors the same, which is the bulk of the wireing. I chose not to build a power supply, and bought mine from the motor manufacturer...

Anyway, theres my ramble...

i buy many of my motors and powersupplys from keling
    www.kelinginc.net

hang i got some extra power supplys and parts around here

jim

Jim and Rob, thank you for your comments. I did spend some time this afternoon looking over joescnc.com as well as reading some of the joescnc threads on another CNC forum. He seems to have a very well designed machine and an avid following. I do enjoy the build process but finding the time to do it is a problem. Having a lot of the parts already machined and in a kit is a big plus for me. I could not find if there was an electronics and hardware kits/packages available as well. The LOML and I are planning a new home (including shop ) which we hope to start building in about 2 yrs. She has a number of things in that project where I could see a CNC being very useful. Again, thanks for your time and comments. I am sure I will have many more questions as I move forward.

Ed

going cnc is one of the best things i have ever done, i can only wish i had done it sooner

jim

I have a Joe's 4x4 hybrid and love it. You can get all of the MDF and HDPE pieces cut in a kit form by Joe. You would need to supply the 8020 aluminum extrusions, Lead screws from McMaster, Bearings, Uni-strut, and angle iron.

Buildyourowncnc kits/machines have gone through a number of revisions. I would personally stay away from the angular bearings that ride on the aluminum. The aluminum is too soft. The angle iron that the mechmate or Joe's uses is better in my mind.

Good luck on your search. It has been a lot of fun and the journey building it was great.
    IMG_0871-2.JPG
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!

I'm glad to hear you have the hybrid. It really looks like a good machine and can be built for a reasonable amount of $$$. I like the size and materials used in the hybrid. I may pull the trigger on ordering the plans soon. It may take some time to complete this project but am excited about the journey. Is the Hitachi 2 1/4 hp router sufficient or should one be looking to use something like a PC 7518?

Ed

i have had a lot of routers over the years, when it comes to routers the porter cables take all prizes, parts availability being the biggest plus!!

jim

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Barnes View Post
    I'm glad to hear you have the hybrid. It really looks like a good machine and can be built for a reasonable amount of $$$. I like the size and materials used in the hybrid. I may pull the trigger on ordering the plans soon. It may take some time to complete this project but am excited about the journey. Is the Hitachi 2 1/4 hp router sufficient or should one be looking to use something like a PC 7518?

Ed
    Ed,

The Hitachi is QUIET compared to the Porter Cables. Almost all of the builders on the Joes Forum use them or have switched. We picked most of them up for $75 (I paid $59 from Reconditioned sales for a Grade C - you just need to watch the site http://www.reconditionedsales.com/Hi...r___i1159.aspx )

Only one builder has had to replace the bearings on his and he runs probably 8 hours every day with his. Plenty of power of the the cuts that we are making. A few have upgraded to some water cooled 2.2 kw, 3 phase spindles and VFD's from ebay - $550. They have been happy with how quiet and powerful they are.

Rob, thanks for the link. I think "quiet" (in relative terms) will be a plus, since we will have neighbors on the side of the house with the shop. I do think I will go with a PC or Milwaukee in the router table I am building. The run times will be much shorter on the RT and shouldn't cause too much of a ruckus . A big thank you to you and Jim for your willingness to be so helpful. That is what makes SMC so special.

Ed

one would have to understand that we are in a large custom shop and probably have 150-200 small power tools around here at any time, in 26 years i have destroyed most any type i have ever seen advertised at one time or another, bosch gave us tools to use in prototyping i still have one of the first sliders and table saws they built. my point is i think long term durability and on the matter of sound we are an osha compliant shop so ear protection is required, i will agree the pc is probably louder and i am not sure i know the difference as 4 of the larger 3,25hps and 6 of the 690 routers along with the 310 laminate trimmers have been here 9 years +

one of the best investments i ever made

jim

FWIW, I just spotted this in a rather unlikely place for "woodworking" articles:
    http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/geek-li...your-home-shop

If I read the (sparse) description right, it's about a 24"x40" bed, with about 2.5" of Z-axis motion. Author claims around $1K total for this setup, with unknown amount of time spent scrounging for bargains on Ebay.

What kind of costs are we talking about for the other options mentioned in this thread?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Lee -
    See this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=107879 about the Joe's 4x4. I will say that the 4x4 is better than all of the hardware store variety of CNC's that can be found on cnczone.com in the forums.

Jim -
    I fully agree with what you are saying about PC routers. I also have a number of PC690's and a 7518 in a table and another Milwaukee 5625 in a table. I love them all and wouldn't be without them.

The features of the Hitachi, for the price,(2.25 hp, variable speed, and soft start) can't be beat for our machines. The bearing are available to be replaced easily and cheaply like the PC's. Of all of the Joe's builders on the joescnc.com forum - only one bearing failure/replacement. If I were doing this for a living like you - maybe I would find out something different. My table seems to run 5 and 6 hour 3d profiling jobs fine without getting hot. Overall I am happy. Would still love to have a VFD and a spindle though!