Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple hollow form

Apple hollow form

Not my kind of form but its what the wood would allow. Measures 6 wide x 5 1/2 high. Sealcoat finish. Charcoal and epoxy in the cracks.

865 miles southeast of Steve Schlumpf.

mike, nice form - i really enjoy turnings that reflect pottery, particularly of what most folks call the 'desert southwest' style. i have my own share of cracks to deal with, too - you did well, i think. mike

Really outstanding work, Mike.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice job on keeping that together. The form looks good and I like how you filled the cracks.

Mike, that's amazing. The black epoxy really accents this piece. I like the form and color. Thanks for taking time to post it.
    Eugene in NC

That is a beauty Mike. I like the form.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Apple Hollow Form

Mike,
    I really like the form and the way you used the cracks to your advantage.Did you finish the piece and then epoxy the cracks?I had a hard time when I tried it the first time,the colored filler left smudge marks around the bowl when I tried to bring everything smooth .I will have to try charcoal the next time.
    Greg

That's a nice one Mike. I like the form. Apple is one of my favorite woods to look at also. The wood just says "warmth". Great finish too.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
    Mike,
    I really like the form and the way you used the cracks to your advantage.Did you finish the piece and then epoxy the cracks?I had a hard time when I tried it the first time,the colored filler left smudge marks around the bowl when I tried to bring everything smooth .I will have to try charcoal the next time.
    Greg
    Greg, the best way that I found to do it is 80 grit the piece first and then fill the cracks. When dried then 80 grit again and then go through the grits.
    865 miles southeast of Steve Schlumpf.

Mike,
    Looks like you have made it "your" kind of form. Love the shape and excellent charcoal/epoxy work. Thanks for showing it.
    Richard in Wimberley

Mike - really like the form! Has a very organic feel to it and as Mike Minto stated - a southwest look as well! I like the contrast of the filled cracks and the color of the wood. Very nice work - great photos also!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Mike,
    Did you use any sealer on the wood prior to applying the epoxy/charcoal?
    I was wondering if this would keep it out of the pores when sanding?
    If it ain't broke...fix it anyways...that's why you told your wife you needed all those tools.

My gramps' fav.....If you don't stop, you won't be stuck.

Oh......and most importantly........I am 362 miles mostly south and a little east of Steve Schlumpf.
    Support the Creek
    for only .0164 cents / day

This is a great one, the charcoal works really well, nice choice.

Wow, I think I can say that is my type of form. I love this! Love how you filled the cracks and made them add to the overall piece. Great job!

John

I like the form, and you did great with the piece - the charcoal/epoxy is so perfect it almost looks like it was drawn with a marker. For some reason, the black seems to much contrast to me. Maybe it is just the photo, but the cracks really jump out. I still love the piece, but the black cracks...hmmm, maybe it will grow on me.