Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speaking of inclusions!

Speaking of inclusions!

Here is a piece that I have been playing with for a few days, I had to get creative to keep it all together but so far so good! It is half of a nice burl from a sugar maple. It was kind of hollow and had little burls growing in th center when I cut it in half. The other half is more solid so it will be easier to work with. Anyway it is just under 18" in dia and a little over 8" high, I plan on removing the waste block and doing some hand work on the bottom,not sure what yet but it will come to me. It has lots of nice color and bark with some figured areas here and there. Lots of fun to turn but nerve racking too! I was waiting for a chunk to fly off at any moment, but it held on! What do you think so far?

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

that looks great...what finish are you going to use
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Looks great so far. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Jeff, that is one scary piece of wood. I can see how it held together so far but I would have to do something like wrap the outside while working on the inside and use a jam chuck type of frame around the rim to work on the outside. I really don't know what I would do, but its fun to think about it. How do you plan to attack it from here? It is a very interesting but challenging piece. Good Luck and be SAFE!

Marc Himes

This thing is an absolute animal......

I saw this piece the other day when I was in Jeff's shop. It looks even better in person. Junk everywhere. If anyone can hold this together, and finish it right without incedent, he can. I hope I didn't just put a hex on you Jeff. I can't wait to see it done.

Mike
    Mike Svoma

"There is nothing sexier than a woman in camoflage"

Keep the faith and keep your tools sharp and considering what it looks like right now: it's gonna have a BIG WOW factor. Can't wait to see it.

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

Good Luck Jeff......looks like a headache waiting to happen......reminds me of turning swiss cheese.
    If it ain't broke...fix it anyways...that's why you told your wife you needed all those tools.

My gramps' fav.....If you don't stop, you won't be stuck.

Oh......and most importantly........I am 362 miles mostly south and a little east of Steve Schlumpf.
    Support the Creek
    for only .0164 cents / day

That's a really cool piece of wood. I'd be seriously concerned about keeping that together while turning it. It should be really impressive when it's all done.

Dang Jeff maybe exclusions instead of inclusions!! Theres more missing than is there.
    You must have nerves of steel and my hats off to you, outstanding so far!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Pucker Factor

Man that thing has a Pucker Factor of 10+. Nice looking piece though. I believe I would wrap the entire piece in some duct or carton sealing tape if you are going to turn it any thinner.

Hey jeff, try saran wrap next time! BTW what them chunks hiding in back there? they look like they are gonne be nice.
    Last edited by Tony Kahn; 05-26-2009 at 9:26 PM.

Beautiful piece. I can't wait to see the final result. Turn safe

That is going to be a beauty when done Jeff. Can't wait to see it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Jeff, I like it. I think it has a very high cool factor. I lack your experience and skill so I would have been afraid to turn that piece of wood. That would have made a killer video to watch how you turned this. Thanks for posting it. Be carefull.
    Eugene in NC

Very interesting piece so far! Looking forward to seeing the finished version! Hope it holds together for you!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!