Thread: Tool Vendors are Watching Us

Tool Vendors are Watching Us

If you read or participated in a recent post concerning how customers were treated when visiting certain woodwoking stores you should know that I received a message from a representative of a one of the major store chains. I followed up the message with a phone call and although I won't discuss the content of the call I will say that the situation was reviewed at a very high level in their company. Preventative and corrective action was taken to resolve the problem by their management.

The bottom line is that when you post messages here you should know that your point of view is reaching a very wide audience. You should also be aware that there are legal issues concerning the accuracy of your messages so be careful and be accurate with your comments.

We hope to establish a beneficial relationship with all woodworking manufacturers, dealers and vendors. Our voice is magnified here since we are a very large group and if you look at our member list our collective resume' is very impressive. If we use our voice in a constructive manner we can make a difference in a positive way. I am encouraging you to participate and to voice your opinions and comments, we should continue to use our voice constructively.

Way to go, Keith!

You get a thumbs up on several levels. One, for putting together this website (along with Aaron, Jackie, and Ray, of course). Two, for going the extra mile to clarify the issue on the phone with whatever company contacted you. I've always said that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I'm also willing to write-off the occasional customer-service shortcoming and give stores a second chance, but those who continually fall short won't get my business.

Thanks again, Sawmill Creek!

Jason

Cool They are watching

I hope that they mentioned the positive experience thread or you were able to point it out to them. It is nice when people get credit for the good they do rather than just hearing about their mistakes. I'm amazed and pleased that the thread is still going.

THANK YOU!!! for a great site. Stuck in dialup-land I really like not having to click on each post and wait for it to load.

Love that edit button.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

I agree with Chuck on this one Keith

It is important that retailers and manufacturers see both the positive and negatives. The odd and occasional lapse in service is not much to worry about unless it's your first time in a store or your first purchase of a piece of one manufacturers equipment. This kind of experience can easily give a bad taste to a new customer. Having said that however, we all have bad days and occasionally are too busy to pay adequate attention to our surroundings. Folks in retail and the customer service line people are no different. What we should be concerned about is patterns such as repetitive bad service at a single store, poor attitudes toward the customer in either a store or a customer service line, and an unwillingness to make things right when something goes bad. As a sales professional, my first question to the bearer of a problem is" Tell me what happened and what do you need from me to make things right?" The customer has to know that you realize there is a problem, understand their concerns, and that you will resolve the issue. Finally, I thank them for bringing the problem to my attention. THE BOTTOM LINE- Problems solved quickly seldom fester or grow larger. A customer has the RIGHT to expect good service and will go elsewhere if it isn't provided.

As a customer we have three responsibilities here on this forum:

1) Be accurate and detailed with our complaints without name calling.

2) Post a follow-up with the info on how the problem was resolved.

3) Recognize good service and award it with a post on the forum.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Re: I agree with Chuck on this one Keith

Originally posted by Dave Anderson NH
    . . . . As a customer we have three responsibilities here on this forum:
    1) Be accurate and detailed with our complaints without name calling.
    2) Post a follow-up with the info on how the problem was resolved.
    3) Recognize good service and award it with a post on the forum.
    Dave -

Well stated. I think those rules should be included in the forum rules user "No manufacturer/tool bashing" stated plainly and clearly - just as you did.

Ted