Thread: banksia pod bottle stopper

banksia pod bottle stopper

I impulse-bought a banksia pod at the hardwoods store the other day and turned part of it into a bottle stopper. The seed holes were filled with CA and coffee grounds and the dozens of other tiny voids and cracks were filled with CA. The finish is two coats of spar varnish.

The stuff was sure interesting to turn. Had to stop a lot to stabilize voids with CA, and roughing the thing to round was downright painful from all the flying bits and pieces hitting my hand as I guided the gouge. I had a very ugly catch when parting it off and am thankful that I wear a face shield...It would've been painful. Next time I'll be cutting it to the desired length on the bandsaw before turning.

I like how the coffee turned out. It is a perfect color match but the seed holes are still very defined, which I wanted. I thought about epoxy and am glad I didn't go that route now that it is done.

I'd love to hear some critiques/feedback on the piece. Shape, scale, etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I know the picture stinks by the way.

The stopper looks good. I've been seeing the banksia wood in the store but wasn't sure what it could be used for. I just saw a pen tutorial on using it & now I've seen your stopper. I think I may have to buy a pod & see what I can come up with.
    Billy

nice stopper, great wood

Nice bottle stopper Aaron. The banksia pod is an interesting turning material, but as you said it is really messy.

Regards, Steve

Aaron - I like it! Nice form - reminds me of a candle flame! Great effect with filling all the holes with coffee! Unique piece that is sure to get attention! Nice work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

That's cool. I like the color.
    Eugene in NC

aaron, that is really nice. the coffee blends in well.
    Ben

Stopper looks great. Nice color and form.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks guys! Now I've got to find a way to sell these stoppers or I'm going to have to stop making them!!! Can't justify having dozens of bottle stoppers laying around when we're not really wine drinkers.

11. They make great gifts

Aaron,

If you have family and friends who drinkl wine, your bottle stoppers would make excellent gifts. I just got into turning recently and bought a couple of banksia pods when I bought my lathe. I had a great time turning a unique pedestal base for a soon to be finished miniature figure. On my piece, I left the holes open, as I thought that provided more visual interest; but, I like your coffee grounds results.

Keep up the good work,
    Jack Stresing

Hey, Aaron!
    There must be some local wineries that have tasting rooms/gift shops that would love that unique a bottle stopper. Mine are sold on a consignment basis with a winery.

Thanks Jack and Brian, I've thought about perhaps checking a local wine store or two to see if they'd be willing to try that out. They'll definitely make good gifts for people that drink wine, but I don't know that many folks that do!

I need to do some research and find some other types and styles. I looked at the ones PSI sells and the chrome on them doesn't appear to be very good quality...It was pitted and almost appeared to be bubbling. The ones I used were from Woodcraft and seem to be good quality. I'd like to find some that will fit in a wider bottle neck, for use on bourbon bottles and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Wingert View Post
    Thanks Jack and Brian, I've thought about perhaps checking a local wine store or two to see if they'd be willing to try that out. They'll definitely make good gifts for people that drink wine, but I don't know that many folks that do!

I need to do some research and find some other types and styles. I looked at the ones PSI sells and the chrome on them doesn't appear to be very good quality...It was pitted and almost appeared to be bubbling. The ones I used were from Woodcraft and seem to be good quality. I'd like to find some that will fit in a wider bottle neck, for use on bourbon bottles and such.
    I've read that stainless steel is the way to go for wine stoppers. Supposed to last "forever".

I've thought about talking to the folks at the wine shop at Legends about bottle stoppers. I get Elderberry Extract there and noticed that they have some cheap stoppers. I don't have anything made up right now so I didn't say anything when I was there last weekend. You might give them a try.
    Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly and for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Smith View Post
    I've read that stainless steel is the way to go for wine stoppers. Supposed to last "forever".

I've thought about talking to the folks at the wine shop at Legends about bottle stoppers. I get Elderberry Extract there and noticed that they have some cheap stoppers. I don't have anything made up right now so I didn't say anything when I was there last weekend. You might give them a try.
    Thanks for the idea Rusty, but I feel like I'd be undercutting you! There's lots of wine stores here in KC that I can go to if I get going on it. No idea what these things cost in the real world at wine shops, so I guess I need to find that out before I even think of trying to sell them. I'd think just basic wood ones would be cheap and more complicated ones like the celtic knot I posted in another thread or the banksia pod would command higher dollar amounts.