Thread: Any Grizzly G0605X owners?

Any Grizzly G0605X owners?

Any creekers who own this machine willing to take some detail pics and answer some fit and finish questions?
    I've pretty much convinced myself that I need (insert want) this saw.
    In the pics I've seen it looks like the arch of the trunnion is machined (or is it just that it didn't get the black coating?)
    Does the extra width on the table make a difference to you?
    Accuracy of the digital readout?
    Metal blade guard work well, or possibly to heavy for small work?
    Did you keep the 12" or drop it down to 10?

And I've got some more to ask if theres any volunteers of knowledge willing to lend an ear.

By the way I'm upgrading from a tricked out Crapsman contractor about 1hp or so I think 113. series. And I plan on only ever buying 1 cabinet saw and passing it on to my kids.
    I'm a budding hobbiest with a knack for the trade and an extreme tool junkie. I want something that I'll never out grow, and I plan on putting an Excalibur sliding table, and Incra fence.

Any way, I've got more if I can get some help/info

Thanks in advance
    Aaron

Aaron, I have a 0605X that I purchased last December. It was a replacement for a 12" 5hp G5959 Griz that I bought in 2003 (and got BBQ'd in a shop fire last June).

I really like my new saw, and especially the table width. It seems like the right side table does double duty as a layout table as well.

My previous saw had the Grizzly sliding table on the left side, and it was pretty kludgy. The new saw also has the Incra 5000 system, which I use about 70% of the time.

The DRO seems very accurate. I kept my saw as a 12", but drop down to 10" for the dado blades. I purchased one toolbox with it, and installed it on the outfeed table. The toolbox location on the right side extension table is pretty far under the table and not easy to access, so I skipped that option. Plus, this leaves a nice place to store the Incra system when not in use.

I have not used the metal blade guard...

I don't recall about the trunion, but can look if needed.

Feel free to send me PM with any other questions.

Scott

Scott... I really like the idea of a 12" TS as I do some 16/4 stock. But.. on 12" TS's the arbor is 1" or at least all I have seen. So.. running a 10" blade would be more than sufficient on most operations but the 12" would give the 4" depth capacity. I know someone that purchased the Grizzly 12". It was on close-out I believe so it may not be the current 12" saw. He had a problem with making quick changes from the 1" arbor to the 5/8" arbor.

So.. my question to you since you do change back to 5/8" for dadoes is.... how difficult and what procedure do you have to go through to make the change? If I am not mistaken (and I could be).. he mentioned having to take the top off to make the change. Now.. for anyone reading this.. Please don't assume this is the case until solid information comes to the surface. Simply what I am trying to do in this case is establish good info regarding the saw.

Perhaps you or Papa Griz could comment on what it takes to make the arbor change on the newest Grizzly 12" for those that might be consdering a 12" Grizzly but still want the option of 10" as many more blade type and brands are available for the 10".

Regards....

Sarge..

I have the 12"......

Aaron, I remember all the excitement you have for a new machine. I have a 40's, under powered Unisaw I used for 30 years. I have a commercial shop and bought the 12" Griz in 09'. Here is what I like and don't. First, the 5 horse is a cuttin' momma. Never had a problem with lack of power. The dual arbor is ok. You just remove the table insert and hold a wrench on the arbor and an Allen wrench into the arbor, (with a cheater extension I had to make), and swap them out. However, and I wrote a note about this many years ago, grind down all of those worthless stamped wrenches that come with the &%$@. I've left enough skin behind to do a graft on an elephant. Unless they have made a change, the 5/8" arbor will hit the underside of the plate when tilted to a 45 degree position. After this experience I had to have the arbor rethreaded because I couldn't get the nut off. I don't think they make the same saw I have but I think the left tilt took it's place. Back to your machine....I am not impressed with the fence. It's just okay. And it's probably good enough for most everyone, but I had a Biesmeyer fence on the Uni and it's leaps better than the one that came with the saw. I don't think I'd pay for all the extension tables. I'd make my own. I never used a guard on table saws until I ran across the Excalibur several years ago. I use it for the dust collection and it works great. This saw works well for me but for the money, I feel cheated on the fence. I'm going to post a question about the Saw Stop. To me, this is the most amazing invention since the motorized saw. Where else can you buy a tool with a built in insurance policy?
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

G0651

I have had the G0651 since July. It's been excellent. Check out my thread Grizzly G0651 Tablesaw Arrives
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=88178

Thumbs up Thanks guys

Mark I liked your posting with pix on the other thread. I'm surprised at how narrow the trunnion mounting points are. Looks like Grizzly's other saws have a much wider footprint. I know you had made a comment about there narrowness yourself back in Nov 08, so are they still holding good alignment with that 3 horse hanging off them? I think the G0605X has a little wider footprint.

I saw I made an error in my OP, I sad Excalibur sliding table when I meant to say EXAKTOR sliding table.

Phil, thanks for the input, I'm not a big fan of the fence either. That's why I'll be putting an Incra fence on it. But I do know this much, the stock fence will be an upgrade from my Craftsman align-a-rip xrc (it's got the worst possible adjustments in history)

And Scott, it looks like you live just up the road from me, I love road trips how about a visit in the future? I'm sorry to hear about your untimely BB'Q
    I'd take your word for it if you could pop your head under the table or get some fingers on the guides that the trunnion slides on so as to tell if they are machined or not. I'd really like to find this out.
    I asked about the width of the table, I meant to say depth duh! Do you find the extra 3 inches a big difference?
    And what about volume does she run quiet? I was thinking about lining the interior of my next saw with foam insulation panels just to make it more noise friendly. I would love to have a saw that just whispered away while I listened to the blade slicing fibers.

Thanks again guys for your insight
    Aaron

Aaron, you are welcome at any time. If you time it right, I can provide a sawmill demo while you're here.

If you'll send me a PM with your phone number and some good times to visit, I'll give you a call in the next day or two when I have some time in the shop to look over the saw.

And yes, I do like the extra 3" of depth, especially with the Incra system.

The saw does not strike me as either extremely quiet or extremely loud - it's pretty much standard tablesaw loud, perhaps quieter than some. It is smooth; when I first fired it up I was able to balance a nickel on the table while it was running.
    Last edited by Scott T Smith; 05-26-2009 at 11:19 PM.