Thread: Elu DAH176?

Elu DAH176?

Does anyone know anything about these things? I'm thinking about replacing my Rockwell 37-220 (I think that is the right model number) 6" jointer and going to an 8" when I ran across an ad for this Elu. It is a 8" jointer/planer, which if it does a good job would work real well for me as I really don't have room for a 8" jointer (single car garage). It would also allow me to use my Delta snipemaster planer less!

The downside is that parts are not available for it, though knives should be pretty easy to get ahold of, and all I can think of that may need replacing on it would be bearings which should be off the shelf items.

I just thought that with the huge number of members on the Creek, that some of you may have had some experience with these, good, bad...?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jamie Hargrave; 05-24-2009 at 8:35 PM. Reason: attach Photo

If it can be picked up and put in a car, it's pretty light duty.
    Looks like you have to feed the stock manually in planer mode. I think I would pass on it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Avoid it.
    You can't get parts and it looks like a toy
    http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=16565

Short of space, your a candidate for a Jointer planer combo. Get a real one.. put it on wheels, and you will look forward to using it. .

Jamie,

I have this machine. Picked it up off Craigslist about 2 years ago for $175. It works ok, though I don't use it too much--simply not enough time for ww'ing. When I use it, I regularly check the fence for square as it is not always consistent. The 8" planer is inadequate if you're doing anything of any size. But, it is ok for now, as it was the right price as a starter machine. I'd say that ideally I'd like a 12" J/P machine, but that will come when I have more time to devote.

Since you already have a planer, you could use this machine primarily for the jointer. But again, the machine has limitations. Folks say it here all the time, "buy the best you can, you won't regret it in the long run." I agree with this whole heartily. Look at the new Jet models perhaps, or go all the way with a 12" machine.

Best of luck.
    Aaron

Thanks, that's the input I was looking for! I just wasn't sure how good it would be... thought that maybe since it was European it would be decent. I think I'll pass on it this time and continue my search for a better planer and bigger jointer!

How much are they asking?

$275... but it has been listed for a while, I may be able to get it for less. The thing is I have a good made in NA 6" jointer, and a crappy planer. It would be nice to gain the jointing width, but if it isn't halfways decent I think I'll pass on it.

9. ELU DAH-176 rollers

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Frank View Post
    Jamie,

I have this machine. Picked it up off Craigslist about 2 years ago for $175. It works ok, though I don't use it too much--simply not enough time for ww'ing. When I use it, I regularly check the fence for square as it is not always consistent. The 8" planer is inadequate if you're doing anything of any size. But, it is ok for now, as it was the right price as a starter machine. I'd say that ideally I'd like a 12" J/P machine, but that will come when I have more time to devote.

Since you already have a planer, you could use this machine primarily for the jointer. But again, the machine has limitations. Folks say it here all the time, "buy the best you can, you won't regret it in the long run." I agree with this whole heartily. Look at the new Jet models perhaps, or go all the way with a 12" machine.

Best of luck.
    Aaron
    Hi, I was wondering if you still have the Elu, if so could you let me know the diameter of the rubber rollers as I need to have mine re-coated, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sheppard View Post
    Hi, I was wondering if you still have the Elu, if so could you let me know the diameter of the rubber rollers as I need to have mine re-coated, thanks.
    Just an FYI, you are posting on 12 year old thread. You may want to open a new post to ask your question to the membership.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher