Thread: Tools in PA

Tools in PA

Hey all,
    The Army has me in Carlisle, Pa for a few months. Any good tool spots? I was in DC a couple months back and someone pointed me to the PATINA tool show, which was a great find, by the way.
    Let me know,

Eric

Eric,

I realize you're posting in neander haven, but the Grizzly showroom is in Muncy, PA. Which from Carlisle is about 90 miles - approx 2 hours and would drive through some of the better scenic areas of PA - and of course up through coal-country. The grizzly showroom is gargantuan and has pretty much everything they sell on display.

Also, down in Christiana, PA is http://www.furnituremakers.com/ - Irion Company Furniture Makers. If you're not familiar, FWW mag did a write up on them a year or two back as they are a modern shop taking on million dollar commissions for work by people that make more money than you and I can dream about. If you call them, they are always happy to show you around their shop and talk wood. Would make a great day trip.

Woodcraft is on Eisenhower Blvd in harrisburg - pretty close to Carlisle.

If you're a true neander and a Lie-nielsen nut then the factory showroom in Maine is just a 9 hour drive away. Factory tours are free and available upon request.

BTW, welcome to PA and thank you for your service! We're a blessed nation because of guys like you. Do some scoping around. PA has a very rich history and you'll find a little bit of everything.

Try heading down to the antique shops in New Oxford. There are usually a couple of dealers that have some antique tools.

Matt

This is the big one. Right off exit 286 of the PA Turnpike. I'm guessing 1-1.5 hours drive:

http://www.renningers.com/jadams1.htm

Also many antique shops in the immediate vicinity.

I like how I've lived in PA for 9 yrs and don't know any of these places.

As mentioned Grizzly is a great spot to hit (as long as the shelves are full). PA is great for materials. Between Hearne, talarico and a few other places, you can literally find anything you need.

I'm moving to lancaster from Philly for an internship next year and am hoping to find some good antique tools dealers in the area. Someone said Adamstown is a hot spot for old tools, not sure where it is in relation to carlisle though.

PS

Head south to Gettysburg, go West on Route 30 to Fayetteville. Huge multi-building antique mall directly on 30 in Fayetteville. The two main buildings each have a good dealer in them.

Also in Admastown, besides Renningers, folow the signs to Shupps Grove, usually a couple of decent tool guys there.

Anyone know any dealers in the Philadelphia area?

PS

Do Renningers on Sunday. Numerous other flea markets near by,like Shupp's Grove. These are only open on Sundays,except on special occasions.Kutztown is another large flea market under a roof-so is the first one I mentioned.The Black Angus flea market is very near Renninger's.

Welcome to Pennsylvania and thank you for your service. Adamstown is a good spot, Shupps Grove can be hit and miss. I make it down every couple weeks to search, sometimes you can get good deals. Never been to Renningers, heard its real good though. Adamstown is full of antique shops, you could spend a weekend there easy. Right along route 272 from Ephrata to Adamstown is called antiques alley. Watch for flea markets and that stuff too. This place is filled to the brim with old tools if you have time to go looking for all of them. I was at the Stoudts brewery flea market and saw one tool dealer, his prices were too high for me though. Shupps grove Summer Extravaganza June 26-28 is a good one to get to. George, I assume you've been up this way plenty of times? When I was at Williamsburg, talking to Mack Headley he said they used to come up to Berks and Lancaster for tools. Also at Shupps Grove on August 23 there will be a small MidWestToolCollectors show.

Yes,Aaron,been going up there since 1970. I was totally amazed on my first trip.Never saw so much old stuff in my life. Haven't been for a few years as I am overloaded with tools,so much that my shop isn't fit to put up pictures of yet.

fishing

Forget the tools and get a flyrod. The legendary streams are right at you doorstep.

If you like old stanley metal and wooden planes, wooden planes, and antique saws, chesels, etc head to Emmitsburg, MD off highway 15. Its right over the border past Gettysburg. There is big antique mall there with lots of great old tools all in one dealer's section. You'll see billboards for it as you get close.

-R

Don't know how long you'll be around but they usually have a lot of old tool sellers at these Brown auctions. I picked up some nice vintage tools at good prices.

https://www.finetoolj.com/brownAuctions/current.html

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies. I'll check some of these out over the next few weeks and report if I find anything interesting.
    Eric