Thread: Air Cleaner Noise

Air Cleaner Noise

Hi Everybody,

I am contemplating buying a shop air cleaner like the PSI AC1000. From reading other threads here on the Creek it sounds like several of these units (PSI, Grizzly, Jet) are all made in the same factory. My question is, does anybody know if they differ in noise volume? I'm looking for the quietest air cleaner I can find, given that it will hang from the ceiling in the middle of the shop.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Garth

PS I did search this topic, but if I somehow missed a whole thread on this, sorry....

Any time you move air you’re going to have some noise. I have a JDS unit that was touted as comparatively quiet when I bought it several years ago. It is still louder than I would like, but after about ten minutes of running time I forget that it is on.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have a JDS too. On high it is obviously on. On low, you barely notice it.

Blog Entries
    It may also be worth mentioning that the units you mention do all perform about the same but the JDS-750 keeps winning the bake-offs. My dad has one and it is noticeable. However, in practice this unit is running because you are running a dust generating machine which means you are probably wearing earphones. Almost anything seems loud after wearing earphones for a spell ;-)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-13-2009 at 5:10 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

This discussion brings up a point Glenn is referring to. How many of you are wearing ear protection while in your shop? Many videos you are seeing by Norm A. he is always caring about his eyes but not his ears. I find that wrong. Unless not a single machine is running I have been making it a practice for years to wear ear protection. If a machine is running so most likely is the DC and air filtration system. I also have several vacuum cleaners for general clean up and they are noisier than most other things. The air filtration unit is most likely the quietest machine around. No matter what make.
    If you got to where you were going where would it be?

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred Hoffmann View Post
    Many videos you are seeing by Norm A. he is always caring about his eyes but not his ears.
    He doesn't specifically talk about hearing protection as often as he does eye protection, but you frequently see him wearing hearing protection when using certain tools. Seems like he always has them on at the RT.

I wear hearing protection when running almost all the machines in my shop. The drill press is pretty quiet, I suppose, as is the lathe (although not the dedicated DC I have for it). The main reason for my question is that, when I am working at the bench with hand tools it's nice to listen to music or have a conversation. Therefore I'd like to minimize the background hum of an air cleaner.