Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saw stop with router table

Saw stop with router table

I'm looking to put a router table in the extension table of my saw stop. I don't like the Incra rails/fence....I like the saw stop's. Anyhow, if you own a saw stop with the extension table, do you think I could just route through the table, stick a woodpecker in there, and call it a day? Is the stock SS table stiff enough, with enough support?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I have the PCS version of the SS... my extension table is ~24"x37" (I have the 36" rails). The extension table itself is laminated ply (appears to be BB), but its only 3/4" thick. Although its reinforced underneath with crosspieces, I dont think there's enough support to prevent sagging of the table with a router hanging in the middle. Plus, you'd almost certainly have to cut some of those crosspieces to accomodate the router setup.

I'd be more inclined to replace the entire extension table with a custom table that would replace the existing one. You'll still need to consider putting enough support under the new table so that you dont get table sag...

John that is exactly the setup I have. I posted some pics at this thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=90165

My extention table is the 36". I have found the rails to be quite strong in supporting the router lift etc.

However recently I have had some movement where the extension table has dropped just a tad where it connects to the saw table. I have re-aligned it but what I found is the bolts had vibrated loose just enough to allow the sag. Easy fix, but that is the only issue I have run into.
    One good turn deserves another

Nice, Rick. It sounds like I can probably just go ahead and install it. If it starts acting up later on, I can always replace the top later.

Did you add any additional support underneath the extension? It's tough to tell if the drawers are supporting the table, hanging under the table, or just sitting on the ground.

Thats what I did, with the jessem lift. In hindsight I should have built a larger cabinet under it, but I am very happy with what I have.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

TS Extension Table for Router Table

John, if you want to get your router table custom made I suggest that you consider Justin at Woodpecker justink@woodpeck.com . He is making one for me from our conversation and my sketch.

He tells me that he makes many of these. I found him quite responsive and knowledgable.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Nice, Rick. It sounds like I can probably just go ahead and install it. If it starts acting up later on, I can always replace the top later.

Did you add any additional support underneath the extension? It's tough to tell if the drawers are supporting the table, hanging under the table, or just sitting on the ground.
    John, I did not add any additional support under the table, and the boxes/drawers are mounted directly to the underside of the extension table. So the weight of the whole thing is supported by the extension top.

I had some concern at first if it was a wise decision to do that, but so far so good.

Blog Entries
    This has been discussed many times. I would just go ahead and add the support ribs now instead of having to retrofit them later. JMHO. ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Rick and Alex - I'm getting ready to convert the extension table on my Sawstop Contractor w/36" Fence System to a router table, as you all have on your SS's.

I know this thread's a little dated, but it still seemed one of the most relevant to my question since it had two solid examples of SS's with router tables.

My question is, how well does the miter track work with the rails blocking either end... I assume fine for anything with relatively fixed mounting, like a featherboard,, but any jigs that could potentionally be stopped from sliding by the rails would present a problem. I also assume that - with the rails blocking either end of the track - thak only miter tack could be used becuase with T-Track, there'd be no way of getting bolts and such into the track.

Double hijack

Update on my install. I replaced the SS table with a lamination of 3/4" MDF and 1/2" phenolic ply, and then installed a 3 1/4HP Triton on a Pinnacle router plate. I even used the original metal SawStop cross brace that came with the original top.

And....after several months, it's still sagging where the table meets the cast top. I think I'm simply going to add an inboard leg to keep it from sagging. The Triton is HEAVY, and this may not be an issue for those using smaller routers. I have to say I was very surprised, though, as 1 1/4" of wood plus a steel cross member wouldn't have struck me as particularly easy to warp, but it's amazing what time and pressure will do. YMMV, but in my case Glen had it nailed.

I don't know how Rick designed his box, but I suspect he inadvertently (or maybe intentionally) significantly stiffened the top at the same time.

Other than that, I realigned the rear trunion and fence yesterday, and am proud to report that my SawStop CONTRACTOR saw is now cutting to an accuracy of +,- .001" along a 2' length of mahogony. It's not that I need that, but that's pretty impressive nonetheless. When a piece doesn't fit, it's definitely NOT my saw's fault!

Quote Originally Posted by John Fuda View Post
    Rick and Alex - I'm getting ready to convert the extension table on my Sawstop Contractor w/36" Fence System to a router table, as you all have on your SS's.

I know this thread's a little dated, but it still seemed one of the most relevant to my question since it had two solid examples of SS's with router tables.

My question is, how well does the miter track work with the rails blocking either end... I assume fine for anything with relatively fixed mounting, like a featherboard,, but any jigs that could potentionally be stopped from sliding by the rails would present a problem. I also assume that - with the rails blocking either end of the track - thak only miter tack could be used becuase with T-Track, there'd be no way of getting bolts and such into the track.
    Just re-quoting your request so it doesn't get lost after I hijacked you

John, did you have any issues with the miter track ends being blocked by the rails?

Quote Originally Posted by John Fuda View Post
    John, did you have any issues with the miter track ends being blocked by the rails?
    The rails will block a miter track but I don't have a miter track on my table. I mainly use the router table for pattern work at the moment so no need for a slot. I don't see why you you couldn't notch the rail at that point if you really wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    ...I don't see why you you couldn't notch the rail at that point if you really wanted to.
    That's what I was thinking too, might have to notch those beautiful powder coated rails with a grinder.. but a tool has to be used to really be a tool, so I guess I'll have to do what I have to do if that's the way I decide to go.

I wonder how my Porter Cable 7518 + Benchdog lift compares to the weight of your setup. I'm going to go ahead and reinforce the table from the get-go, just to be safe. I think the inboad leg is a good idea as well.

I know this is an old thread, and I didnt see the replies then. As far as the miter track and the rail obstruction I worked around it. Took the rails off when cutting the slot for the track. The track on the back side of the saw does not obstruct access. The front rail does. I did not notch the rails. However I do have to install from the back side only. So instead of an open track on each end, I can only access the slot from one end. No big deal.