Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Craftsman Style Staircase

Craftsman Style Staircase

I thought I would share my latest project. What do you think?

It started from this:

Then came this:

And finally after a couple hours of work:

There is still quite a few touch ups and a kitchen to do, but its coming along. All of the spindles and rails were connected using MT joints. Not one piece of the stock came to me finished. I milled it all.

PS: I know about the 4" sphere, and have had this approved by the BI.

Brad

That took a couple hours! You slacker!!!

WOW! Looks just like the picture. Good job! I'm glad you didn't paint it to match the picture. I like the open treads.

Excellent work, Brad!!! Let's see, that was one hour on Nov. 3 '08 unloading the trailer, and another hour on the morning of May 8 '09, the date on the last pic - not bad!

John, I knew someone would pick up on that. I did take about 3mo off to complete a few other projects. It turned out to be a huge undertaking and my methods sure didnt help much either. I sure can build the next one faster.

Brad

A "couple hours work"....LOL

Wonderful end result!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Really wonderful. Pardon my ignorance but, what is the 4" sphere?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Wow - that is really sharp - both the design as well as the construction. Thanks for sharing.

Scott

4" sphere:

Let's say you have a ball 4" in diameter (or a babies' head about the same size).
    The 4" sphere should not be able to fit betwixt the balusters - because you know, the instant is does, it will grow 1/4" in diameter and not come out.

Blog Entries
    Looks GREAT.......
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    4" sphere:

Let's say you have a ball 4" in diameter (or a babies' head about the same size).
    The 4" sphere should not be able to fit betwixt the balusters - because you know, the instant is does, it will grow 1/4" in diameter and not come out.
    Don't forget the open riser too.

Great looking stair case, Brad. I'm recently drew up the plans for a craftsman style house for a friend of mine. I think I'm going to print out that picture and send it to him. Of course I know he'd never do something quite like that. He's a contractor, and their houses are the last to get done, so I'm expecting pine 2x4 railing and 2x2 balusters.

Do you have a more direct picture of the railing as it is going up the stairs? I'm curious if the little square are sloped or slanted into a parallelogram.

Brian
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Brian I have lots more pictures that I can add if you like. The lattice squares on the rails below the stair railing are perpendicular to the rails. I contemplated this detail for a long time and in the end this was the only way I could do it since all the parts are half laps and the potential for fitting problems with angular cuts would have been a nightmare. A CNC would make short work of this, but you would be stuck with 1/8"+- rads at the corners.

The specific language in our code applies directly to the spindles and logially many extend that to the treads. Truth be told the BI in my area approved a construction set of stairs that never in my life did i expect he would nor did I ask.

Brad

I LOVE craftsman and G & G.

I am VERY IMPRESSED with your work and design !! Amazing job all around !!

More pics !!!
    MARK

Very impressive! I always enjoying seeing the lumber pics and thinking that the one came from the other. Great job.

I'm like the others...a couple hours??? It would take me a couple hours to talk myself into even thinking about tackling a job like that!
    Beautifully executed! The more I see of the Mission/Craftsman/G&G styles, the more I like it. When I finally get my shop functional and start the kitchen remodel, I want to go mission style. Hopefully I can talk SWMBO into it. I don't think it will be too hard as she wants few ledges that will catch dust. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

...couple hours, very impressive. If you start on the kitchen cabinets this afternoon, you should have them knocked out & installed by tomorrow quiting time. BTW, very nice work.