Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: one seged, one not

Malcolm, thanks for your approval, it means a lot to me comming from the "Master".
    The diamonds were done using a 60 degree router bit both to make the voids in the segments and to cut the matchng diamonds. The diamonds are 2 piece to enable sanding of the segments after the half diamond was glue into the maple segment. I tried to make the diamonds in one piece but found I couldn't get the machined exact enough to fit properly. I have done one piece shapes before but they were made to fit a 90 degree void, a square is much easier to machine to fit than a 60 degree diamond.
    Always drink upstream of the herd.

That segmented bowl looks great. Elegant, but not overdone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Golka View Post
    Malcolm, thanks for your approval, it means a lot to me comming from the "Master".
    The diamonds were done using a 60 degree router bit both to make the voids in the segments and to cut the matchng diamonds. The diamonds are 2 piece to enable sanding of the segments after the half diamond was glue into the maple segment. I tried to make the diamonds in one piece but found I couldn't get the machined exact enough to fit properly. I have done one piece shapes before but they were made to fit a 90 degree void, a square is much easier to machine to fit than a 60 degree diamond.
    Mike, you are becoming quite the "master" yourself. As you probably know, I've done many diamonds using a 45-degree bit; I've never thought of using a 60-degree bit. I can imagine the increased difficulty of creating a one-piece diamond as the insert. You got'a love this stuff - there's just no end to the possibilities.