Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Infused with an acrylic"

Necro thread

4Zeah.jpg

Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 04-21-2021 at 7:35 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by David Keller NC View Post
    "Does anyone know how this can be done at home without spending a fortune?"

Eric - The short answer is no. And even if you were willing to spend a lot of money, the process is patented (and you can't use it - even for personal purposes. Patent law is different than copyright - there is no "fair use").
    One slight exception to this is that a patented technique can be used in research. While using a patent for personal use is not legal in the US, it's extremely unlikely that a patent holder would learn of that use, or would take action against you because of the cost of any legal action.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I just found this thread, as I'm, pondering on moving into knife making... I fail to see the difference between "stabilizing" and "infusing" wood, but the process surely works better on porous woods than on hardwoods. The process is widely used by knife makers for handles...
    There's plenty examples on Youtube, both for equipment and process..... also using various resins and heat processing.
    While I don't know much about US patent law, I do find it strange that this process can be patented according to european patent law.... It is a common and widely used process, no matter what you call it...

Blog Entries
    While I don't know much about US patent law, I do find it strange that this process can be patented according to european patent law.... It is a common and widely used process, no matter what you call it...
    Receiving a patent for a design or process is not terribly difficult. Defending and upholding a patent may be impossible when challenged.

One of my employers was challenged by a patent holder. The patent lawsuit was ruled invalid by the court when my employer proved he was using the product design before the patent was granted.

Many patents have been ruled invalid when scrutinized in court.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)