Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nikon Cameras

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Vantine View Post
    One of the biggest issues that I have against this camera is the lack of interchangeable lens that will fit it.
    You are thinking about a different camera. The D40 is a standard Nikon SLR mount--F bayonet lens compatibility. From Nikon's own website:

Nikon F mount with AF coupling and AF contacts Type G or D AF Nikkor
    1) AF-S, AF-I: All functions supported
    2) Other Type G or D AF Nikkor: All functions supported except autofocus
    3) PC Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/2.8D: Can only be used in mode M; all other functions supported except autofocus
    4) Other AF Nikkor*1/AI-P Nikkor: All functions supported except autofocus and 3D Color Matrix Metering II
    5) Non-CPU: Can be used in mode M, but exposure meter does not function; electronic range finder can be used if maximum aperture is f/5.6 or faster
    6) IX Nikkor lenses cannot be used
    *1. Excluding lenses for F3AF

Unless you have a cache of really, really old Nikon glass, you shouldn't have to worry about incompatibilities with Nikkor.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 05-04-2009 at 8:01 AM. Reason: Fixed Quote Tagging

Thank you for all of the responses. I have a lot to learn about this and I will spend some time researching before making a purchase.

Well, I went back to Ritz Camera this week and purchased the D40 kit and also the Nikon 55-200 lens which was on sale for 1/2 price ($100.00) and I couldn't be more satisfied. The first time I used it I was very impressed with the pictures. Any suggestions about a spare battery or about how long between recharging them. I appreciate all the help again.

If you haven't done much digital before, the one thing I'd also say is that you can improve the quality of your prints significantly with a little post-processing. This isn't getting rid of redeye or things like that, its setting white balance properly and real black and white reference points. The ne-plus-ultra is Photoshop, although there are much less expensive options (even by Adobe) or even Gimp, which is free.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Adair View Post
    Any suggestions about a spare battery or about how long between recharging them.
    Don't make my mistake. I bought two 'almost identical' batteries for my D90. Long story. Just bite the bullet and get a Nikon spare, as I did eventually.

My understanding is that these batteries like to be recharged, even if they have just been run down a little bit.
    Regards,
    Dick

Allentown

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Adair View Post
    I was at a Ritz Camera store looking at a Nikon D40 and wanted to buy a telephoto lens instead the 55 mm lens that is standard. The sales rep said they cannot sell one without the 55 mm lens, You need to purchase any other lens in addition. Something about their contract with Nikon. Can you not buy just a D40 body and add any lens you want. I have a very old Maxuum 7000 (27 years old) with a 70-210 lens, and this is basically what I wanted. Is this standard with these cameras. Any advice appreciated. Thank you.
    Dick,

It is a shame your not closer to Allentown, one of the best stores I have ever been to and that includes NYC

http://www.danscamera.com/