Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I don't think I am smart enough to use Sketchup!

I'm new to Sketchup too. Thanks for the links and advice in this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    what exactly are you having problems with?

i found http://sketchupforwoodworkers.com/ to be pretty helpful. he does a few things differently then i would suggest (mainly he uses groups instead of components) but otherwise some good basics tutorials there

also try http://www.srww.com/google-sketchup.htm

and http://finewoodworking.taunton.com/b...gn-click-build
    Thanks for the link Mike! It was what I needed to get over the hump in the learning curve. Here is a mission library table I did in sketchup from dimensions I got from the book "Mission Furniture: How To Make It".

This is only a day after I watched the video tutorials and followed along in sketchup. Prior to that I was useless in sketchup. It took about two hours to do, but probably would have been quicker had the original plans been more accurate. Luckily, once I identified the mistake in the original, fixing the model was easy .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Looks good.... another good thing about using sketchup is that you think through all your cuts as you're drawing. The project in the shop will go much smoother....

Now, your push/pull tool has a blade on it....

I'm not even smart enough to figure out which sketchup to use. Are you all using the 500 dollar version or is there some lite version or some version for woodworkers

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip Johnson View Post
    I'm not even smart enough to figure out which sketchup to use. Are you all using the 500 dollar version or is there some lite version or some version for woodworkers
    Unless you are a Sketchup Ninja Master the free version is all you will ever need. Here is the link to download it.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries
    I only use the free version and it is just fine for my needs.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

thanks for the links I will check it out tonight after work.

The one major advantage of the "Pro" (paid) version is being able to print in higher resolution. Other than that, the free version has most everything in it.

A couple other things with the Pro version are:
    • the ability to create dynamic components - components that alter themselves such as a stair component that adds treads and risers as you stretch it out.
    • the ability to export to other formats such as dwg and 3ds - good if you use AutoCAD or rendering programs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kountz View Post
    No you're not alone by any means. That program hates me, I know it does. I was trying to do a simple bench design and it kicked my butt.
    It's why I don't use it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Genovesi View Post
    It's why I don't use it.....
    I am convinced that unless you are the type of person who is willing to commit a good amount of time, attention, commitment and study, SU will frustrate you. OR, find someone who knows its ways and sit down next to them and have them demonstrate making an object that contains most if not all of the program's features. Then you replicate what he did with his looking over your shoulder. There are some quirky aspects . . . such as just how to SELECT a part of a group of components and edit the specific surface of that one component. It you are unaware of this fundamental technique, you're likely to shoot yourself at worst or walk away at the least.

I happen to be one of those nuts who is willing to take the time to study the manual, watch the online videos, search for how-to books on Amazon, talk to others (THANKS DAVE!!), and practice making mistakes until I figure it out. If you don't have a bent towards this behavior - you gotta find a mentor. With a mentor, you could no doubt be up to speed enough in three hours of teaching or so to begin learning yourself in a meaningful way.

Having said all that, SU is still an incredible program. One reason I value it so much is it permits me to effectively build something before I turn a saw on. I can create each little part of a project BEFORE entering the shop and prevent mistakes and improve design. I am currently designing our new kitchen and designing each and every cabinet and their parts. This is easier than it may sound due to fact that you can create one cabinet and then use it as a template for other cabs of different dimensions.

FIND THAT MENTOR!!! Or attend some classes if you can find them.

Considering all of the various CAD and modeling programs I've used through the years, I've always thought that SketchUp was far and away the easiest to learn and use. So I'm always a bit confused when people don't get it.

However, I have to admit that I don't have a musical bone in my body. Years ago I took guitar lessons for a year before coming to the conclusion that there weren't enough years in my life to even make me a passable musician.

So I guess that it comes down to being how your brain is wired - what seems "natural" or "obvious" to you isn't going to necessarily be so natural or obvious to the next person.

I will say that if you want to learn it, using the videos is probably the easiest path. And, as Jeff says, having someone who knows it that is available to walk you through things you aren't understanding will probably catapult you further along than trying to "muscle" through it on your own.

I wish I knew what specific problems you are having with the program. Sketchup came pretty easy to me, but then again, I was an art major in college, a lot of my coursework was in programs like Photoshop, and 3D Studio Max...

Did you run through the tutorials in the program?
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hostetler View Post
    I wish I knew what specific problems you are having with the program.
    David,
    I think this thread is not about any specific problem we are having with SU. It is about SU and programs like it that do nothing but confuse and bewilder us. I know that I have tried several times to learn this program. Even though I finally muddled through the drawing of a simple cabinet, it literally took be 3 times longer to draw it in SU than it did to actually build it.

I really think that either you get or you don't. Sort of like playing a musical instrument or drawing a picture. Some people it just comes naturally to while others struggle. I suppose if given enough time and effort I could develop enough skill in this program, but so far I have found it is just not worth it to go through the massive frustration to make it a useful tool. A pencil, ruler and graph paper seems to be a better solution for me.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

2-Step Learning Approach

For an easy and inexpensive learning approach to SU, buy SketchUp For Dummies (available at Amazon.com for $31.) and watch the accompanying video tutorials found on YouTube (at no cost). The series of MANY tutorials can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...+dummies&uni=1

All this STILL requires the interested learner to sit down and spend a considerable amount of time to "do the lessons."

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wright View Post
    All this STILL requires the interested learner to sit down and spend a considerable amount of time to "do the lessons."
    +1

I think many people underestimate the fact that even people that 'get it' spend a considerable amount of time 'getting it.'