Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dewey's crusade against rodents (with pics)

Dewey's crusade against rodents (with pics)

Well folks…
    Part of my "welcome to spring" was going out to the shed I had just finished before the first snowfall last summer. I opened the door and the place smelled like death, the floor was black and my lawn mower (and everything else) was covered in poop. Bird seed was strewn from one side to the other and potting soil was everywhere.

Field mice!

Had to get it cleaned up before they started to take residence in my house! Yesterday I lit up a cigar, cleaned the shed, and armed with a family pack of DECON bait and sticky traps, I set out to have war with the little guys. I am not trying to be mean but I love birds and these guys attracted 3 different cats to my back yard and one already caught one of the birds from the feeder instead of the mice. The bird and mice were after the seed.

Today was the first day the traps were put out. You can see in the shed pic where there is a small crack near the bottom left of the door I made to allow the door to open onto the wooden walkway I made which runs slightly uphill. That is where they got in as the rest of the building is air tight. I still have plenty of bait and 3 more traps.... Bring it on!
    Dewey II
    Mice 0
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Blog Entries
    Catch the cats and lock them in the shop.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Dewey, I hate to tell you this bud but there’s millions of em out there. You’d be better off fixing the door.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    Catch the cats and lock them in the shop.
    I wish I could... not a big cat fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Dewey, I hate to tell you this bud but there’s millions of em out there. You’d be better off fixing the door.
    Yes I know... any suggestions? They can squeeze into some awfully tight spaces so is there a way to do that?

I was just going to take the food (seed out of there and keep it in the house)
    Dewey

Dewey, get a BB gun and move into the shed.......that will show em
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

At least its not rats. I opened up my detached garage the other day, and found droppings that were too big to be mice. I noticed over the winter that something had chewed through the rubber gasket on the bottom of the overhead door, and I had assumed it was a field mouse. They don't bother me, rats do however.

Giving me the heebie jeebies just thinking about them. I've still got to pull out all of the lumber from an ongoing addition, clean up and get rid of the buggers.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Quote Originally Posted by David Christopher View Post
    Dewey, get a BB gun and move into the shed.......that will show em
    I am about ready to do just that

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Effinger View Post
    At least its not rats. I opened up my detached garage the other day, and found droppings that were too big to be mice. I noticed over the winter that something had chewed through the rubber gasket on the bottom of the overhead door, and I had assumed it was a field mouse. They don't bother me, rats do however.

Giving me the heebie jeebies just thinking about them. I've still got to pull out all of the lumber from an ongoing addition, clean up and get rid of the buggers.
    Yes... thanks I am glad they are not rats but they did a lot of damage non the less. Lowes has a good selection of rodent rid products when you get ready! Make sure to send pics and tally!
    Dewey

Dewey I cant stop laughing at the thought of you out there waging war against those mice. What a visual I got from that!!
    I got you all camo'ed out with the black paint on your face and an M-16 standing guard. Oh man!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Dewey..........it's always something!

Those sticky traps work great, so as far as the mice I would keep using them. For the gap in your shed - how about low expansion spray insulation? As far the cats....... lets just say I share your viewpoint and do not wish to offend any cat lovers.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Rodents give me the hebee-jebee's. Don't know why, they just do.

That said, when I've had rodent problems I use spring traps. It's generally more humane.

Just because I don't like 'em is no reason to be cruel to 'em just because they're doing what it is they do.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

The key to getting along with cats

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    ..... As far the cats....... lets just say I share your viewpoint and do not wish to offend any cat lovers.
    Is to remember this: Dogs have masters, cats have staff.

We had this problem. Solution: Keep birdseed in a metal trash can. Sweep up any spills. Mice might pop in for a visit but they won't stay when they find the kitchen closed.

Hope this helps.

Lee in NC

Go get em' Dewey. We have two cats that patrol our shop at work. The folks at the Merita bread depot next door seem to be quite happy about that by the way. One day one of the cats came strolling through the roll up door with a rat - not a mouse, a big, ugly rat in her mouth. So, what does she do? She proudly brings it to me. She drops the rat at my feet . . . and the rat isn't dead. He takes off running and scoots behind a row of cabinets. The counter on top of those cabinets just happens to be my work surface. I spent the entire day just waiting for that rat to run across my foot, or up my leg. Yeah, I know he was probably more scared of me than I was of him, but that didn't make much difference. Rats . . . EEEEW!

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Peterson View Post
    That said, when I've had rodent problems I use spring traps. It's generally more humane.

Just because I don't like 'em is no reason to be cruel to 'em just because they're doing what it is they do.
    Yeah...snap traps are what I use. Something about the critter staying stuck and alive to a trap or eating poison which makes it dehydrate just doesn't sit right with me.

Try placing moth balls around the perimeter of the building. I use it to try and keep the snakes from the property; may work for mice.
    I had a neighbors' cat that loved to hunt-mice, birds, rabbits. Only problem is she loved to bring the results and lay them on my neighbors porch or deck. Even bought me a prize-did'nt know it until I began to investigate the smell.
    Makes me wonder about those feline creatures.