Thread: Benches for a dock

Benches for a dock

Anyone have ideas or plans for dock benches? This will be exposed to a brackish environment so I have to allow for that.

Thanks
    RD

Aluminum?

Ok - you are on a woodworking site, so i guess you want a wood bench.

First thing that I thought of was something very hard. Brazilian Ipe.

What are docks made of? Call a Dock company (near salt water) and ask.
    Last edited by Dennis Lopeman; 05-04-2009 at 10:04 PM.

3. By exposed to do you mean sitting on a dock where they are going to be exposed to salt air, splashing, and the weather? Or are we talking about being partially submerged at least part of the time?
    If my cut looks off it's because you lack that divine spark of insight necessary to understand how a true masterwork should look. - Patrick Laflamme

MDF is for amateurs!

Sorry, I should have been more specific. We are on a small branch of a river that is tidal. Severe weather can submerge the dock by a foot or two though this is very rare. The dock is new and is made of pressure treated wood - I just figured to use the same material.

I have seen aluminum and plastic bracket systems that you just bolt cross bars to for seating. The aluminum is cost prohibitive and the plastic gets very mixed reviews so I thought I would build out of the same material as the dock. I have come up with a wood bracket system that I can add on to so that I do not have to make the whole thing at once. Buut sometimes reinventing the wheel is good - sometimes not so good. I posted this question here in case someone has seen a design that they like for whatever reason.

I know that usually when I build the first version of something I reach the end thinking how I would do certain things different. Also I am very unused to building for this environment – I generally build for interior use. There may be issues here I don’t even know to ask about.

Any fastener material suggestions? There seem to be some options beyond stainless steel and galvanized available these days.

Thanks
    RD

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    Lately, most new docks I have seen are built of Ipe while some are still built from treated lumber. As for fasteners, I use stainless steel for anything in and around docks and boats. You must buy the SS from a marine supply house such as West Marine or Defender and NOT from the BORG. All stainless steels are not alike just like all woods are not alike.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

What creek are you on Richard ?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dooling View Post
    Sorry, I should have been more specific. We are on a small branch of a river that is tidal. Severe weather can submerge the dock by a foot or two though this is very rare. The dock is new and is made of pressure treated wood - I just figured to use the same material.

I have seen aluminum and plastic bracket systems that you just bolt cross bars to for seating. The aluminum is cost prohibitive and the plastic gets very mixed reviews so I thought I would build out of the same material as the dock. I have come up with a wood bracket system that I can add on to so that I do not have to make the whole thing at once. Buut sometimes reinventing the wheel is good - sometimes not so good. I posted this question here in case someone has seen a design that they like for whatever reason.

I know that usually when I build the first version of something I reach the end thinking how I would do certain things different. Also I am very unused to building for this environment – I generally build for interior use. There may be issues here I don’t even know to ask about.

Any fastener material suggestions? There seem to be some options beyond stainless steel and galvanized available these days.

Thanks

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SKYPE# : CLASSICMARINE1

Thanks Tony, we have a West Marine in town. The builder never even mentioned Ipe and I didn't know to ask.

Hey Angus, we are on Wayne Creek, N. Branch Lafayette River.

RD

8. In my opinion, Adirondack style chairs/benches are perfect for dock sittin. I personally would never use pressure treated for seating. It is OK for decks and docks but the quality of the wood is poor. I don't know much about Ipe but I would use cedar myself for lasting against the elements. Oak, beieve it or not will last a lifetime outdoors, I have an untreated oak chair that has lived outdoors for over 10 years.

For stainless steel screws, I think I would order from McFeelys. West Marine might be a little pricey.