Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Day at Sam Maloof's Shop

Question

Thanks, Brian, for the great pics. For those of us who can't get out to the west coast, this is the next best thing.

I had a question about the seat in the Sam's-Vise pic. Did Mike say anything about the hash marks you see on the edge of the seat? I've seen those on pics of the chair arms as well and guess they're some kind of guide, but don't recall seeing those in Sam's book. Any ideas?

And is Sam feeling any better? He is a big part of why I love woodworking. I got to meet Sam and Beverly in Charlotte in 2001. She tells some great stories and is as charming as Sam. Great people.

Kevin, though I don't know about the marks, Sam is real big on templates. I would guess that they mark the different stages of a curve on the scooping out of the seat. This chair was a part of an 8 or 12 chair order to go with a huge walnut slab dining table. The normal dining chairs were too small visually so they over-sized everything for this set.

One of the shockers for me was that in the initial cutting they nailed the templates to the wood for the arms / legs / spindles! They either do that before jointing and planing or they fill in the holes with epoxy and sawdust.

I only went there two days ago so I do not imagine that he is feeling better yet. If I hear anything through the show at our local art museum I'll post it.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I especially like the two pics from inside the house. That house is way cool! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for sharing the pics. Sam Maloof is a national treasure and it's always a privilege to view his work.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Thanks for the photos. One question: How long did it take to wipe that smile off your face?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lynch View Post
    Thanks for the photos. One question: How long did it take to wipe that smile off your face?
    Still there, Ron.

7. thanks, some of the best content on this site.

Great Pics,
    I did the same day in the Shop with Sam one year ago. An artisan to be sure, but also a gracious and generous man. I am really sorry to hear he is ill. His frailty was apparent last year. While I appreciated what to me felt like a chance of a life time meeting Sam and spending time with him, I left with a heavy heart, knowing the many people who work with him and love him were facing the reality of loosing him.
    God bless you Sam Maloof.
    Just cut off the parts that don't look like a bowl...

Great pics and thanks so much for sharing. Sam is a class act and it is a treat to get to talk to him. I wish him a speedy recovery!

Scot

When Sam makes his chairs he wants to shape them as much as possible before the grinding and rasping begins. The first step is cutting he sides of the seat boards at an angle - 5° for rocking chairs, 3° for table chairs.

The center board has each side cut in 5° towards the top. The next boards out are cut 5% out. When the 5 boards are clamped together the outer boards are parallel to the floor and the seat is beginning to take shape.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very much a treat! I'm sorry to hear that Sam is ill, but it was very nice you still got to meet him.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...