Thread: 1st Chair project finished

1st Chair project finished

I finished this chair today, the plans of which were from Jeff Miller's chair book. This was my first chair (other than a rocker), so everything associated with it was a learning experience. I'm very happy with how it turned out. I used red oak from the borg and laminated it (if you look closely, you see where I cut through the laminations on the two slats). No steam bending on this chair.

1.jpg

Since this was a test chair only (like all my first projects), I attempted the uphostry. It turned out all right, but in the future I'll probably go to a professional upholster (I haven't a clue how much they charge--but I imagine it can't be too much).

2.jpg

The finish was multiple coats of Danish oil, some wet sanding, and a touch of wax.

3.jpg

And in it's final resting place--till I repalce it with one of walnut and make a few changes (for comfort).

4.jpg

Blog Entries
    That looks great Doug.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Good job Doug, chairs can be quite the challenge as Im sure you well know having done one!!
    Now how about a set??
    LOL
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

That looks great, first chair or fiftieth chair.

Great job, Doug! I don't have the confidence to tackle a chair yet, but I would love to do a Windsor someday. Hope it turns out half as good as your first chair.

Nice chair.. I built a set of four a while back with slats. After that set I decided chair-makers aren't going to get any competition from me. Unfortunately.. I am looking for an oak desk swivel chair and I can't find one like I want or the one I did fine cost more than the last used car I purchased. So.....

Good work...

Sarge..