Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Delta 46-460 availability

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Aliperti View Post
    Anyone hear any news about when this new Midi lathe will be available? I was considering a Jet 1220VS until I heard about this one. The specs seem to be a bit better and the price should be comparable.
    Joe, check out my rant below on the 1220VS. I have gone through two 1220vs lahtes and both had bearings over heat in just a matter of running with not load for 2 minutes. I am going to return this last one tomorrow and get my $$ back. The manager has had three 1220s returned since May all with bad motors and now my two lathes with bad bearings. I dont know who is watching their QC at the factory over in china but someone needs to get fired.

Dont know what I am going to do for a lathe?

I believe the days of the Jet mini are over. It looks like Delta has made another turnaround with their lathes. Looking at the specs I think there is no comparison, and with these reviews Jet needs to seriously lower prices. The video on Deltas official web site really sucks you in and plants the thought that this is not just a "mini" lathe, but a space saving, portable lathe that has the power and functions of lathes much more expensive.

I think I've nailed it down to the new delta vs or http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-W1758...pr_product_top

I really think that I'm going to go with the delta as I've moved long distances 3 times in the last year and am moving soon 500 miles. I've never turned on the delta, but what I've seen and heard this delta is changing once again the image of delta lathes back into the high quality lathes that delta once produced. http://www.deltaportercable.com/lathes/midi_lathe.html
    Last edited by Brian Novotny; 07-16-2009 at 5:46 AM. Reason: found video of midi delta

Good machine.

I work at a Woodcraft store, and we finally got our shipment of new Delta lathes in. I checked it out this morning, and it's a SWEET machine. The specs are awesome. The drive uses a 5/8" wide poly-V belt with a self tensioning mechanism, is comes with a high quality machined faceplate, it has more HP, and the fit and finish is head and shoulders above the Jet 1220.

If I get a third lathe, this would be at the top of my list. I am so glad Delta has finally moved towards better quality!

Hutch

Hmmm. Must be a heck of a machine. I'm really pleased with my little Jet 1014, have had NO problems. WAS thinking of upgrading to the 1220.......

I have both the Jet 1220 VS and the Delta 46-460 and I'll agree with Matt that the Delta is a sweet machine but have to disagree about the fit and finish. Both machines are comparable fit and finish and are both worthy of consideration. The bearings and motor on my Delta run on the warm side where the bearings and motor on my Jet can and have run for 6 + hours and there is no heat what-so-ever. I did a comparison of the two a month or so ago and I'm keeping both. I paid $475 for the Jet and $620 for the Delta. I will agree that Delta really used their head on this lathe by going to woodturners on how this should be built. As I speak the Jet is now my traveling lathe and the Delta is the midi shop lathe. You would not be wrong choosing either of these lathes at the price I paid.

Today, I found a store that is selling the new Delta vs for $499! all he wants is a $200 deposit. I usually turn 7 days a week 4-10 hours a day so it's hard not having a lathe right now. I'm really tempted to pick up the delta so that I have something soon, but I really need more of a massive machine.....so it's ether the delta vs, laguna 18, or nova 1624. I know the nova inside and out and their customer service is unbelieveable, but the manual speed change is really getting old. Does anybody know of any problems had with the laguna 16/43?....because they're selling like hotcakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Rothwell View Post
    Any thoughts, good or bad, on this lathe. http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-x...od-Lathe/G0658
    Expect the tool rest to snap off at the shaft fairly often, they'll replace it under warranty but that's 5 days without. the only other tool rest on the market that will fit it that I found is the Rikon mini, but that puts you about an inch above center unless you start tweaking out with your grinder. I always thought of steel as a hard substance until I owned a grizzly lathe.....and because of their cheap steel I don't have a lathe at all anymore. I really want a grizzly bandsaw, but I would pass on that lathe unless it's all you can afford.

Brian I would definitely go for the Delta over the shopfox. Just to high of a low speed IMHO.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    Brian I would definitely go for the Delta over the shopfox. Just to high of a low speed IMHO.
    Yeah, the shopfox is out. Now it's between the delta and a laguna. Even though the laguna has a high low speed.....I'm no engineer, but does lack of vibration and speed have anything to do with each other? Because these are rock solid.
    A guy I talked to on the phone today told me a couple of his buddies works for Laguna and their customer service is a complete turnaround from what it used to be.....I guess changing their customer service was their #1 priority and now they are committed to customer service. Now it's all about the money. Are there any other 16'' vs lathes under $1000???? I'm going down to the laguna showroom on monday and checking it out. Hopefully they have scratch and dent models....

A little overboard...

After I went back and read my post I have to say I did say "head and shoulders above" in fit and finish. You're right, I think I said that too strongly. But it is pretty. I think I just got a little excited.....or maybe it was the wine.

It's interesting to hear about the bearing warmth. Are they warm or hot?

Be careful if someone is selling it for $499. Keep in mind that a step pulley drive is still considered variable speed, just not electronic variable speed. I like my NOVA 1622-44, and even though I am not thrilled with everything I still would highly recommend it. I generally have not found step pulleys to be a problem, but I also have never had the opportunity to own a machine with EVS.

Hutch

P.S. You have a big advantage with Laguna, as you are an 'in the flesh' customer. I have heard some customer service horror stories about Laguna, as well as quality control issues. Normally I would lean away from them, but since you are local you may not have those problems.
    Last edited by Matt Hutchinson; 07-18-2009 at 7:24 PM.