Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta 46-460 availability

Delta 46-460 availability

Anyone hear any news about when this new Midi lathe will be available? I was considering a Jet 1220VS until I heard about this one. The specs seem to be a bit better and the price should be comparable.

Delta 46-460
    With an electronic variable-speed range from 250 to 4,000 revolutions-per-minute, the DELTAŽ 46-460 offers the slowest low-end speed in the category for large turning, whereas the fastest high-end speed is ideal for smaller projects.

Offering the capability to rotate forward and reverse, the 46-460 is the only reversible benchtop lathe on the market. The reversing function provides for the super smooth sanding of multi-directional grain by cutting the fibers smooth in each direction verses simply laying the fibers down.

This function eliminates the difficult and sometimes impossible task of reverse mounting work pieces in order to sand and finish. Ideal for turning bowls and hollow vases, the reversing action aims harmful fine dust away from the turner and directly into the dust collector as well.

With a powerful one peak horsepower motor, the variable-speed lathe, model 46-460, will be available for purchase in second quarter 2009 with a suggested retail value of $599.

Looks like now

http://www.mikestools.com/Delta-Lathes_1833.aspx

Looks like there is a price difference though

Yeah, I saw that site. The last bullet says Available: April 2009. All of the Delta documents say MSRP is $599, but I guess that could change. I'm definitely not paying $900 for a midi lathe, though.

I talked to Lowes about an hour ago. They can have it in seven days for $596.58. The bed extension is 14 days out and can be had for $119 and some change.

Great, thanks! I'll have to check with my Lowe's.

A few specs about each. Jet= 3/4 HP motor, 12" swing, 48" between centers with bed extension, 270-4200 RPM's. Delta= 1 HP motor, 12 1/2" swing, 42" between centers with bed extension, 250-4000 RPM's. Woodcraft tells me that the Jet is backordered till mid June.

Any thoughts, good or bad, on this lathe. http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-x...od-Lathe/G0658

I will be picking up my new Delta 46-460 tomorrow from the Woodcraft store in Lexington. I called them back today about the availability of the Jet 1220VS and there was still no definite answer as to when they could get any more. They said that they did however recieve two of the Deltas today and would put my name on one of them. I will try to post a few pics tomorrow night if I manage to get it set-up.

Thumbs up Delta 46-460

I got my new 46-460 this weekend. It is a terrific lathe! It's smooth and powerful and very well though out. It's stable and easily regulated. There are three belt adjusted speed ranges and the belt change is fast and very easy. It slows down to allow me to hand chase threads. I could do 22 TPI or smaller my old Midi. With this one 10, 12, 14 and 16 TPU are a easily done. Also hollowing (with the Don Derry tool system) up to 12 inches works well. And it has a spindle lock, something my Jet 1642 lacks.
    I am very pleased with this lathe and can recommend it without reservation.
    Last edited by Mike Meredith; 07-13-2009 at 3:03 PM.
    Mike

.....God invented the wood lathe to keep the truly gifted from ruling the world.....

Congratulations Mike! It is indeed a very nice lathe.

Northwest Montana about 20 miles from Glacier National Park

Thumbs up

I received my new 46-460 a week and half ago, and it sat in the box until this weekend. I finally got to make some sawdust and compared to my pioneer mini, this is not only a cadillac, it's a rolls royce! Talk about power, speed, and slow speed, and the best part is how quiet it is. I need to get the extension though. I can see some spindle work coming now that I have a real lathe!

Rick

I'd also like to add that after a few months of use on this lathe that I am also very satisfied. I couldn't be happier with my choice.

I got mine at 7 Corners Hardware in St Paul, MN.

I really like this new lathe. It has everything anyone could want including variable speed, reverse, and indexing. The only issue I have had so far is that the toolrest banjo has a tendency to vibrate loose while hollowing with my Kelton Hollowing rig. That issue is being addressed by replacing the round plate on the bottom with a square plate for more surface area on the under side of the ways. otherwise, I couldn't be happier with it.
    Last edited by keith zimmerman; 07-14-2009 at 12:56 PM.
    Don't burn the wood, turn the wood.

Mike, My Jet 1642 has both a spindle lock and an indexing pin. You say yours does not?

And happy New Lathes to y'all.
    Richard in Wimberley

Keith,
    I assume you already tried to tighten the clamping nut.

All,
    I'm happy to hear that you folks are enjoying your new lathes. It's good news that we have another good choice in the midrange lathe field.