Thread: NOVA 1624 Handwheel Runout

NOVA 1624 Handwheel Runout

I finally got my 1624 all setup. Everything looks good except for some runout on the handwheel, very evident at lower speeds. There isn't any runout with any of the different drives I've used in the headstock spindle. I have removed the handwheel and re-installed it a couple of times, still the runout problem. Is there any way to test and make sure that the problem is with the handwheel and not the piece inside the headstock pulley? Anyone else experience this? What affect will this have on both the machine and the turnings?

Thanks,
    Glenn

I have the same lathe and the same runout. No runout on anything else, just the handwheel. I finally decided it is just a design flaw in the hand wheel and I quit worrying about it. It hasn't affected my turnings at all.
    Chris

What! There's no coffee!!?

I've never checked the hand wheel on my DVR-XP, and thus have never noticed any runout. But I can't see how it would effect any of my turning
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Glenn:
    I have the same lathe and have not noticed the runout but I have never checked it. I have checked the spindle...no problem.
    All the best.

Don

I have a Nova 3000 and the runout on the hand wheel is horrendous
    You can see and feel it but the spindle is fine

Thanks for all the help. I just got off the phone with Tim Geist and he knew what the problem was immediately. You need to remove the handwheel. Now check the surface on the headstock where the handwheel "seats". There is a squarish piece of metal, Tim called it a "key lock", inserted here. It should be flush to the surface, check this with your finger while slowly spinning the lathe. If the key lock is not flush, it causes the handwheel to seat a little cock-eyed, hence the runout. He said to sand/grind it down flush so the handwheel will seat properly.

Best of luck,
    Glenn

Thanks Glenn, I'll do that.
    Chris

What! There's no coffee!!?

The runout has left the building! After aout 10-15 minutes with the Dremel, all is smooooth. I started with the smallest diameter sanding sleeve, then switched to a cone-shaped stone to get everything flush. Pretty easy fix!

Good Day,
    Glenn

Interesting - I have a 1624 and while I never noticed any runout with my handwheel, since I have put a OneWay vacuum adapter on the headstock, it wobbles noticeably. I will take a look at mine first chance I get. Thanks for the info. Mike

I have the issue as well. I was planning to disassemble it this weekend and reseat. I will look for the 'key' and see if I can get it back on straighter.

On a handwheel related note, does anyone with the handwheel use the Nova Vacuum Adaptor?

I plumbed my system and when I cover the hole on the Vacuum Adaptor I get maximum vacuum, but once I insert it in the handwheel and cover the threaded end of the headstock with my hand I only get about 10 inches of vacuum.

My next step is to try a rubber gasket on the face of the bearing to improve the interface between the face of the bearing and the inside of the handwheel. I also wonder if this seating of the handwheel in the outboard spindle threads might be causing a vacuum issue as well.

...we now return you to your regularly scheduled Nova Handwheel Runout thread...

Hmmmm.. is it me or does anyone else think that just maybe NOVA should fix this issue?
    Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly and for the same reason.

David,
    The problem isn't about the key seating properly into the slot, but about the key being to long. This is why the "fix" is to grind/sand away the extra key material. I hope this helps explain it a little better.

Glenn

my key is not sticking out...

Wow, shaved off just a little bit of the key with my Dremel and the handwheel fits properly now. Didn't take much, amazing what a difference a few thousandths of an inch can make.