Thread: Gun Cabinet

Gun Cabinet

Hi all.

I thought I'd post some pics of the gun cabinet I delivered earlier this month. It is 4/4 maple with a light stain and Minwax polyurethane to match some other furniture and the overall "log cabin" theme. The doors are 5/4 with half-laps at the corners. The panels are 1/2" solid glued-up maple. The top of the base and the top of the top are solid, glued-up 8/4 maple. The Euro-hinges are Blum and the drawer slides are full-extension Accuride with 100# capacity. The door ring-pulls are oil-rubbed bronze that are recessed into the door frame. The back is copper-colored tin ceiling panels. The barrel rest is not up tight against the tin to allow the light from the three recessed LED pucks to "wash down" the back with light to set off the guns. The butt rest holes are lined with thick, suede leather. It holds 10 guns.

I delivered it's "twin" to another customer this past Friday. He was very pleased and thought about sleeping in it that night!

Enjoy. I'd be happy to answer any questions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jeff Frieburg; 04-20-2009 at 7:47 PM. Reason: Added details

Very Nice!! I really like that copper backing. The light wood is beautiful, nice change from the standard walnut colored gun cabinets you always see.

Never saw ceiling ,material used like this and I have to say I like it better in your gun cabinet than I ever did on a ceiling! Fine overall job and great creativity.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Beautiful work on the cabinets. However, the ceiling material looks like... ceiling material. Guess it looks better in person?
    I like the idea of a gun cabinet that will actually display guns, but is there a way with this cabinet to lock them securely? As a gun owner myself, I'd hate the idea that a burglar would be able to just grab and go. Just personal opinions given as food for thought.

Innovative use of ceiling tin, I think it looks really cool!

Very Nice!
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

I like it.
    Shawn Stennett

My favorite quote "Letz go in shop to fixz DaDa" My son

Now thats mighty impressive. Your client should enjoy that one for years and years to come.
    Nice job!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Thanks, everyone, for the nice comments.

Jack: The guys who commisioned these projects were clear - they wanted "firearm display units" and they didn't want them to, "look like every other gun cabninet out there" . We considered many ideas for the back including brushed stainless, and plain copper sheets, but arrived at the ceiling tin after much deliberation. And all four doors do lock - but this was more to "kid-proof" the cabinet than too deter burglars - a burglar would at least have to break the glass to gain access to the guns!

Very good looking gun cabinet and the way you handled the copper back accented with lighting is really outstanding. Did you throw in a can of Brasso?

Sarge..

Nice job on the cabinet.