Thread: 3m 4492 foam tape job

3m 4492 foam tape job

I have an opportunity to do some work which uses a 3M 4492 PE foam tape or equivalent. The job will require several different widths, and a lot of it!

I started researching "or equivalent", and thought I'd ask if anyone here has experince with an alternative.

This will be laser cut for signs, so this post may be in the wrong area but I thought I'd take a chance on you sign experts!
    Computer programs - CorelDraw X4, Vista operating system, Photograv, so many others.

Dye-sublimation. Epson 1400, Knight 16" x 20" press

That is Polyethylene based, 0-150 (F) temperature range and is 1/32" thick, with "medium" solvent resistance.

You can use those details to look for a less expensive substitute that might cost less, but depending on the application the specs may be critical to them.

I have only seen it retail up to 1" wide, about $40 for a roll of 1".

You can get it online 12", for about $275/roll. There should be 3m dealers listed on their website. Try: http://3m.hillas.com/

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Thanks Joe, I knew if anyone would know sign tape, it would be you!

Have you ever laser cut it? I have a small sample, but haven't tried it yet. I'll need to cut through the release paper and the foam, while leaving it on the carrier. I'll need to weed it out too. Any hints?

Hopefully, I can try cutting it tonight.
    Computer programs - CorelDraw X4, Vista operating system, Photograv, so many others.

Yes, I have cut through it and many other 3M foam tapes, and even the
    far cheaper black stuff from Harbor Freight. It depends on the material. In most cases the settings for cutting the material are close to enough to go all the way through without a problem, 1/8" acrylic, for example. When using 1/4" I found that the release paper would be barely perforated, and if I went with less speed/more power it would scorch. My solution is a second pass at a faster speed and higher frequency which won't affect the part material but will cut through the paper cleanly. On really thick materials you may have to refocus.

I have also cut just the foam tape, to fit objects that were manufactured by casting. I had to apply my own release paper to the back first but always have a ton of it around from vinyl work.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

That is precisley what I will need to do - apply release paper, cut thru the foam, and weed out the excess. The customer is doing some research for me to find a laminator to apply the release paper. I could always do that myself. Any idea where to get release paper (since I don't have access to the vinyl paper?

Some sign supplies sell it, and it's not very expensive. Otherwise you can buy the cheapest contact paper (for shelves) and just throw it away, keeping the backing, or maybe do your shelves first and save it. Maybe even a member near you that does vinyl work has some old (past shelf life) vinyl they can give you, you can peel it off and use the backing.

Sammamish, WA

Chip - If you want to buy rolls of release paper (and your budget for the project permits it) maybe you could find some kind of coated butcher paper or poly coated kraft paper such as:

http://www.packagingsupplies.com/Pol...aft_Paper.html

You'd have to test to see if it adheres and releases the way you want.