Thread: "saving" posts?

"saving" posts?

I looked in the FAQ section for this answer but came up empty. OK... I didn't search the FAQ for a long time.

Occasionally, I come across posts that I would like to "save" for future reference. Is there a mechanism on the forum to do that?

Thanks,
    Terry

First thing that comes to mind is to "subscribe" to the thread. That essentially saves a pointer to the thread in your User CP. Subscribe by clicking "Thread Tools" at the top of the thread and "Subscribe to this Thread" in the dropdown. In your User CP (top menu, left side) will be a list of the subscribed threads you can retrieve at your leisure.

The way I usually "permanently" save items from the web is to print them to a pdf file and save the pdf file in a local data store, but that requires software that allows you to create pdf files. Since Adobe's patent/copyright has expired, there are 3rd party solutions available as well as the Acrobat applications from Adobe.

Another way that doesn't require 3rd party software is to use (in IE) the menu "File/Send/Page by E-mail" to yourself. Don't know how well that might work since I've never used it, but should give you a local copy of the thread/post that you can save locally.

And I'm sure there are other ways I've not thought of.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

you could click on the number in the right hand corner of the post, whihc will open it as a "single post". Then either book mark that or what i do is grad that to a folder and name it approriately.

I print articles with CutePDF which is free. Easy to use. Just about anything you can print can be made as a PDF file. I also use ScreenHunter 5 if i just want to save part of a screen shot to a JPG or BMP file.

Terry, the easiest for me is to highlight the part of the post I want, right click and hit copy. Then just open your word processor like MS Word or Notebook, (I use the open source OpenOffice), and paste it in. This allows me to edit, add comments, and have several posts on one page. Saving it to a folder for that subject makes it very easy to find without a lot of extraneous material.
    Bo

Thanks, guys. All good suggestions. I'd rather avoid printing hard copies where possible. Although I have been known to print articles and photos to take along to the shop .

Much appreciated!
    Terry