Thread: Tack Trunk completed -- Thanks For the Help

Tack Trunk completed -- Thanks For the Help

I finally finished a tack trunk for my daughter (only 6 months later than expected). As a WW novice, I relied heavily on this community for advice at critical moments -- and could never have finished without the help and patience of many individuals. I hope I can repay the debt someday.

As attached pix show, I imitated pretty basic tack trunk design (my daughter's wish) with frame and panel joinery to attempt to lighten things up. A mechanical engineering/woodworking friend at work suggested sliding dovetails during the design -- which proved both a blessing (structure and looks) and a curse (never quite met need for perfectly square/level stock without a planer or jointer). Wood is African Mahagony (got a deal) and Okoume Marine Ply. Finished with Waterlox.

I know this is beyond overkill for the barn environment it will find home, but it was a blast to build. And, if making mistakes is the way you learn, I learned a tremendous amount.

Thanks again to all.

Ken

That is extremely impressive! Nice Work! How did your daughter like the new family heirloom?
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

It looks fantastic!! Your choice of woods and joinery are excellent and it shows in the end results. I like the interior options you included too. I did a couple of these some years ago and never outfitted the interiors so one got used as an end table/storage kind of thing for the den. I went with raised panels where yours are flat, about the only difference on construction.
    You did a heck of a job on this, congrats!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Excellent...

Sarge..

Nice work Ken. You can be very proud of that!

Whoa that's nice

Really like the overall construction - especially the box joints on the interior pieces. What kind of wood did you use for those? Kind of hard to tell??

Thanks to all for the kind feedback (which I guess I was kind of fishing for in the first place).

Couple of answers to questions:

Box and tote wood is also African Mahogany -- just lighter than the trunk stock. I don't know if others have experienced this, but I found a very wide variation in stock color in the same lumber stack -- from the more traditional dark brown to a much lighter brown/ivory tone. Like everything on this project, I learned this the hard way as I progressed.

And, yes, my daughter is very happy with the outcome -- though was a bit more than frustrated at times with the incredibly slow pace of my work

Very nIce
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Boy that is really nice. I love your choice of wood.

Very nice Ken. I love the looks of it. You sure your daughter doesn't want to just keep it in her room and use it strictly for the show gear and you can build a grubby one for the barn and the practice gear?