Thread: The Case of the Wandering Drill Bit

The Case of the Wandering Drill Bit

I have run into a problem and need some assistance from you more experienced turners. The problem is that the holes I drill into the blanks are starting centered but are wander off center by the time I have gone through the 2-1/4" blank. I am using my new Jet 17" drill press, a Rockler 7mm brad point bit, and a Craft Supplies pen vise.

The table is level and the drill press is square and running at 200 RPM. The press is clamped down and I releive the build up very frequently but sometimes that bit just wants to wander off center. It has happened on various woods. Is this normal on a 2-1/4" blank or am I possibly doing something wrong?

Gary in San Diego

speed up maybe???

I used to drill with a drill press that was set at a really low speed, and i had the same thing happened. Using a cast iron vise and bolting it down to the table.

I think i figured it out though, I moved to a different system and started drilling at a faster speed. That seemed to help quite a bit. I think that the drill bits that are used now are designed for higher speeds and will track better when used faster

I dunno i could be way off base though, just a thought

The problem is most likely one of two things if not both. #1. the drill speed is to slow. #2. Your are forcing the bit to much.

Solution, would be to increase your drill speed and to go a bit slower on drilling down through your piece. That is what worked for me anyway! Good luck!

haha...great minds think alike dave

I have used brad point and pilot bits for drilling pen blanks. I believe that pilot bits drift less. One thing I came to realize is that when the drill first enters the wood the action of a spinning member meeting a stationary member causes the spinning member to deflect. My determination is if it starts at an angle it can only get worse. Now I use a small scrap of wood to "push" the drill from left to right just before it enters the wood and hold it to reduce the initial delfection. I get a lot less drift than I did before I started using this technique. When drilling Corian I administer the same "push" but I really wood pecker the bit to keep chips clear cause blowing out a Corian blank is pretty easy.

Terry

Howdy Gary:

Well, I've gotta put in my two cents worth. In wood, I find that the pilot or bullet (depends on mfr) point drills work best. In synthetics, a parabolic flute seems to clear the plastic out better. I agree that a little faster speed helps. Something one of our club members just enlightened us with is to put the blank in your chuck with the drill in a jacobs chuck on the tail stock. It really does seem to work a lot better. Our club has recently drilled about 400 blanks in preparation for the FPP and this procedure as drawn the best results.

Ed

If the blanks are thick enough and you use a barrel trimmer, you can "make do" with a little bit wandering. I sometimes have to let the bit enter slightly off center to be sure that it doesn't exit too far to one side.
    JB