Thread: new member

just wanted to say hi. im not new to turning but far from an expert. i like using wood that cant be found anywhere on the market. i use Manzanita, Toyon burl, Ceanothis burl[ which has many different spieces and wood coloring. i use 3 species] and i turned a vase out of a scotchbroom burl i found one time. heres pictures of manzanita boards and a ceanothis burl vase with 3 rings. i bought a lathe for $50 and made 3 tools out of old files with my grinder and belt sander. i will add other pictures when i find them. glad to be aboard. jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome Jim,
    Glad to have you. You have gotten of to the right start with pics

We love pics
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

new member update

i sent a picture of my ceanothis burl coin tray instead of the 3 ring ceanothis which is in this thread and a vase i call the saturn vase. i try to leave some of the bark edge somewhere on most of my turnings. jim

Jim - Welcome to the Creek! Real nice looking work! Sure are some different colored woods! Looking forward to seeing more of your work real soon!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

more pictures

here is a picture of a giant manzanita. its a bush that grows here in calif. and is considered a hazard becuause of fire danger. people want me to remove it. i have a bird product company becase it one of the best woods for perches also. but the wood itself is beautiful. no 2 pieces are alike and the color variations are great, also attached is a picture of a part of the bush about 5 feet above the ground where 4 branches come out of a single large trunk

Jim,
    I used to live in San Diego and I remember that tree. I didn't know at the time how nice it looked inside though.

Keep the pics coming.

Also...great to talk with another theme turner. I put inlay or marquetry on everything I turn such as you described with the bark.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Welcome to the creek Jim.

Where in Cali are ya? I have manzanita in my back yard. Beautifull stuff, and hard too!

Good to have you, I too am in California but not near any Manzanita, that's for sure. If I was I would have turned it by now. You certainly have access to some pretty wood.

Might want to be careful using old files as tools. I don't know a lot about it but from what i've read from others here on the forum, the metal is too brittle and is likely to snap from a catch. Just a heads up.

Alex

i live in fairplay, ca. about 15 miles south east of placerville. thanks for the heads up on the old files, i retired those and bought a set of tools. what i like about turning manzanita is that i can turn any part of the bush down to a !/2" x 4" branch and still get amazing color. a friend of mine got a hole in 1 at a local golf course and he got a plaque that had the date and info on it with a golf T stuck in a hole so he could display the ball. i turned a T for him out of manzanita that he uses now. it was a tricky turn.