Thread: Acrylic Access Panel

Acrylic Access Panel

OK, try to picture an acrylic cube. Now picture that one side of the cube is a 12"x12" piece of acrylic. Now, how do I make an 8"x8" cutout on that panel to be used as an access panel......YES, I know HOW to cut out an 8"x8" square out of a 12"x12" square!!!! What I'm trying to figure out is how to re-attach that cutout.....

I've thought of using a bead of clear silicone caulk (I had mentioned that in a previous thread) on one edge. I'd like to keep the outside of the cube as flat as possible, so it can be flush against the wall,so big bulky knobs are out. A hole in the little access door would be OK since this side will be against the wall and not seen.

Can you put nails/screws through acrylic without breaking it? I'm doubting that. Can hinges be attached with glue or weld on?

Anyone have any good ideas?
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Hi Steve,
    There are acrylic hinges that readily accept glue. They're kind of bulky though. A living hinge might be less obtrusive than the pin type.

Unless the box is clear, why not use 2 layers of 1/8" acrylic with the inside piece having a smaller hole. Glue them together and you'll have a lip to keep the panel from falling in. You could make your own living hinge by gluing a thin flexible substrate between the 2 pieces and to the back of the panel.

I've etched deep recesses in acrylic and glued in magnets. That works too.

Cheers,
    Doug
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Hi Steve,

If it's infrequent use and not seen you could use a strip of thick scotch tape. I know it sounds 'tacky' (excuse the pun) but it is actually quite effective, and it's hardly noticed being almost transparent.
    Not sure what the name of the tape is but it is just like scotch tape but wider and thicker.
    Just a thought....

Regards

Dave.
    LaserScript 9060 SE 60W - LaserCut 5.1,
    PhotoImpact X3, CorelDraw 12, PhotoGrav, Adobe CS3

Steve,

I use the small brass screws (perpetual plate size) in 1/8 and 1/4 acrylic all the time. Drill the right size hole and they actually will thread themselves quite nicely.

Overtighten and they'll strip - but you're not done, put a drop of acrylic solvent in the hole, let it dry and you'll get at least one more good use out of it prior to being totally stripped.
    Steve Beckham

Epilog Mini 24 with 45 Watt, Ricoh GX 7000 Sublimation, Corel X3, Corel X4 and PhotoGrav, Recently replaced the two 'used' SWF machines with brand new Barudans.

Thanks for the ideas.

Doug, I had thought about the two piece idea.....but there are two problems....one is gravity.....it might work if the access panel was on top.....but on the side it would fall off. The second is, I want it to be as flush as possible with the rest of the cube......and it needs to open "out".

Dave, I really thought of using tape......which would probably work.....I was actually thinking of electrical tape since the cube will likely be black acrylic......but I DON'T want it to look "tacky"......

Steve.....thanks for letting me know about screws in acrylic.....had no idea that would work. I guess I may just have to find the right type of hinge......one that can be put on the inside, yet still allow the door to open out.

Thanks again for the suggestions
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Steve the acrylic hinge idea is the best, they can be welded on and when they are open, they really aren't that bulky, besides if the acrylic is thick enough you can engrave down on it for the hinges to sit in.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Good point.....thanks for the tip!

If you are going to use black I might consider going the two layer route with a slightly smaller hole on the inside one. Then butcher up a mag set that you would use for a name tag. Enlay the mag on the box and maybe a thin washer on the matching part then cut a finger size hole in the door to pull from. It should be easy to make it all flush. Just one small mag should hold fine.
    Just a thought
    Al

40W MII W/Rotor
    Camaster Stinger III, Vectric Aspire
    Back up Vinyl cutter
    Roland 54" print/cut
    Laminator
    Strip heater
    Lasermaster 8.5, LXI Master Plus, Corel X4, Photograv, design shop pro
    Knight DC16, DK3 Mug Press, Hix HD400D, GX7000
    Embroidery
    Hot stamping

Go to home depot or lowes, They have magnetic catches for shower axcess panells. They just glue on.
    Vytek 4' x 8', 35 watt. Epilog Legend 100 watt, Graphtec plotter. Corel x-4, Autocad 2008, Flexi sign, Adobe Illustrator, Photo Impact X-3 and half a dozen more.

Never thought of magnets......thanks guys!

Also Steve, Acrylic can be drilled and tapped for screws, just like any other solid material..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Just use a 0.5mm piece of PETG as a hinge , can be glued on. PETG will allow bending many times and wont whiten or stress crack , make a small semi circle on the bottom of the flap so you can get a pinkie in to open it outwards
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

All good ideas.....thanks!