Thread: My motor broke on my lathe...

Unhappy My motor broke on my lathe...

I don't know what to do...I was turning a pen then it starting making a loud banging noise like metal to metal grinding banging... I turner it off and took it apart and the metal grinding noise is coming from the motor... I don't even know where to start??? HELP... it is the new craftsman model that they still sell today.

Bummer

I'm not familiar with the craftsman lathes but I can't imagine it is worth sinking much money into. Perhaps you could find a replacement motor on the bay. Maybe Craftsman will honor it under their infamous lifetime warranty. I think your signature pretty much says it all.
    Buy quality, and you only cry once. Buy poor quality, and cry all the time!

Good luck on getting it running.
    If it ain't broke...fix it anyways...that's why you told your wife you needed all those tools.

My gramps' fav.....If you don't stop, you won't be stuck.

Oh......and most importantly........I am 362 miles mostly south and a little east of Steve Schlumpf.
    Support the Creek
    for only .0164 cents / day

Very True...I didn't want to invest to much in a lathe since I never turner before...I fell into the vortex...now I am in this situation...

what's your passion

What do you mostly turn? Some of the midi lathes are quite reasonable. Even as the vortex gets deeper and wider and you someday desire a big bowl and or spindle turning lathe you will appreciate having a nice midi around. They are so useful for the smaller items and can be set up as a polishing station. I check out the tools section of craigs list daily. You never know when you will find someone in a jam for some fast cash. What model is your lathe? I have some surplus catalogs, might be able to find an inexpensive replacement if the motor not built into the lathe housing or something silly.
    Last edited by John Fricke; 04-12-2009 at 2:07 PM. Reason: add ?
    If it ain't broke...fix it anyways...that's why you told your wife you needed all those tools.

My gramps' fav.....If you don't stop, you won't be stuck.

Oh......and most importantly........I am 362 miles mostly south and a little east of Steve Schlumpf.
    Support the Creek
    for only .0164 cents / day

is it the motor or the bearings in the reeves drive cant imagine what in the motor would make that noise I started with this lathe and have lots of parts that they gave me since the sears repairmen had no clue how to repair they would just ask what parts I wanted them to order and the last time it broke they gave me a new jet mini vs to replace it with pm me and I will see if I can help dont know now many times I have had mine apart and back together or do like I did and just go get mustard also I think its Darrel Felman (sp) site has tutorials on repairing these lathes thats how I learned .http://aroundthewoods.com/
    Last edited by Tony Wheeler; 04-12-2009 at 4:48 PM.

Sears' lifetime warranty is only for Craftsman hand tools, not power tools. Their lathes have a 1-year warranty, unless you spring for the extended warranty service.

Sears Service sells a replacement motor, call them for the current price (likely more than you paid for the whole lathe). New, their 15x38 lathe sells for $600, so a replacement motor is likely half that.

Check to see if something in the drive has come loose, or a setscrew has fallen out. I'm assuming you're certain the noise isn't coming from the headstock bearings, which will fail if you're applying too much tailstock pressure. Failing bearings make a squealing sound, but failed or seized bearings can make horrible grinding noises.

Remove the motor from the lathe, pull the endcaps, and replace the bearings to see if that solves it. Sears Parts sells replacement motor bearings for $10/ea (there's one in each endcap), or you can find heavier duty bearings from Grainger or a local bearing shop.

If it's not the bearings, or you can see physical damage to the motor guts, you can replace either the motor or the lathe. With the info printed on the motor's nameplate, call Grainger and Surplus Center to see if there's a drop-in motor replacement available (compare to Sears' price).

If you're handy and don't mind some metalwork fiddling, you can adapt a different motor to work, but this isn't everyone's idea of fun. If you're adventurous, this is a chance to install a motor with more power, different speeds, maybe even variable speed and reversing.

Now, weigh the cost (and effort) of replacing the motor against buying another used lathe. Craigslist has plenty of similar lathes in my area for under $250.

Finally, take a look at buying a new lathe. For $300-500 you can have a shiny new 12x20 benchtop lathe in the shop, then fix (or give away) the old lathe at your leisure.

-jon-
    Happiness is a shiny new 3520b, and a reversing Jet 1220 for backup.
    Wading into the shavings, waving a fistful of Thompson gouges.
    Too new to be scared, too excited to think twice.

I hope you don't have the Sears lathe model private labeled by Palmgren.
    If you do a Google search on "palmgren lathe problem", you will find a lot of discussion on that lathe in SMC. Probably a lot of Creekers have spare parts for that lathe, if they haven't been used as boat anchor.
    Gordon

I had one of the new Sears/Palmgren lathes. I had to replace the motor twice both times under warranty. I replace the reeves drive arms twice. This all happened in the first 18 months I had the machine. It was down more than I turned. When the motor went out the third time it went to the metal pile in the dump. You might call Palmgren and see what they have to say. They sent me two new motors. I will tell you this putting another motor on is not a option and putting a new motor in is a bear.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.