Thread: A visit to my shop

A visit to my shop

Greetings & Salutations,

I am about to start a new Murphy Bed and Cabinet Project and just got the shop kind of straightened up so I took a few pictures and thought I would post them for everyone to see.

My shop building is a 30 x 50 metal building with 10' side walls. I made the actual shop 20 x 30 in the back of the building and using the dividing wall just outside the double shop door I put in a 10 x 10 bathroom complete with tub and shower as well sink and vanity.

These pictures show the double door that I am able to open fully so that I can easily get lumber and completed projects in and out.

The door also makes a handy place to hang my cross cut sled and just to the right is a lumber and sheet goods rack with my Delta miter Saw on a portable stand in front. I elected to use the portable stand since my shop is about 300 feet from the house and I am always doing projects in the house it makes it handy to bring the MS up to the house to work rather than make the trip back and forth.

DSCN16682009-01-29-160845.jpg

To the left of the doors I put in a shelf that I can keep my woodworking books along with all my operational manuals of my machines and tools on. Below I have a deep tub sink and to the left of that are a couple of shelves that manage to collect any and everything.

DSCN16692009-01-29-160858.jpg

Moving on around to the left you can see more storage cabinets as well as my roll around tool cart that is so big and heavy it never gets rolled around. For cooling I have a 30,000 BTU AC unit that I keep a furnace filter over the front of and believe me this thing will keep it cool. I do have 6" of insulation in all the exterior walls and 14" of blown insulation in the attic. The walls and ceiling are 5/8 OSB that I got at Lowes on sale for $2.99 a sheet. At the end of the Table Saw, which is a Grizzly 1023SL 5 HP you can see the top of the Grizzly 6" Jointer and my temporary Miter Table which is a table top unit from Rocker. (New Router Table next on the agenda) My Performax 16-32 Drum Sander and the Delta 13" Planner are on rollers so I move them all over when not using them to keep them out of the way. Also on rollers is my Penn State Dust Collector that for now I move from machine to machine. Up on the back wall is my home made planner sled and with some MDF against it is my Grizzly Drill Press.

DSCN16602009-01-29-160612.jpg

DSCN16612009-01-29-160628.jpg

Moving on around the shop against the back wall next to the DP is my Grizzly Lathe which I have not done much with yet but soon will. Next to that is a Oscillating Drum Sander that I got from Harbor Freight and it does a pretty nice job for $90 bucks. The outfeed table is one of the first things I built for the shop after my work bench and gives me a lot of useful storage.

DSCN16622009-01-29-160646.jpg

I have a few more pictures but will have to put them in another post on this thread.

Thanks for taking a look at my little area of relaxation and enjoyment.

Gene Miller
    And to think it only took me 2 weeks 26 hours and 43 minutes to get that top flat.

Shop Visit

Greetings & Salutations,

Well here I am again. As we continue around the shop you will see a small white cabinet that is on rollers and I keep my sanders and sanding supplies in that. Next to that cabinet is my Delta Belt sander that I have on rollers and the Grizzly 14" Bandsaw also on a mobile stand.

My heat comes from the infared propane heater that was on low the day I took these pictures as it was in the 20's that day but that little heater will get the shop up to about 60 or so and that is about all the warmer I can stand if I am working. Usually will end up having to change shirts at least once even at that temp.

DSCN16632009-01-29-160710.jpg

Over in the corner is my Clamp rack that is on rollers but since I built my assembly table don't have to move it too much.

You can also see the bench that I built, which was the first project I did before I had even finished the walls or partitioned off the shop area. The only table surface I had to work on was the top of the Table Saw and a couple of saw horses.

Up above I have some rack shelves that came out of the house when I did some remodeling in there and of course I have my radio up there so I can keep up on my country music and weather.

DSCN16642009-01-29-160727.jpg

The bench turned out pretty good and even though I am not doing much with hand tools yet I still use it quite often. That tool case hanging on the wall, I won back in 1960 for the best constructed car in the 1960 Indianapolis Soap Box Derby. All of the tools that were in the case are still in my shop.

DSCN16662009-01-29-160807.jpg DSCN16732009-01-29-161023.jpg

Looking on down past the bench I have another cabinet and counter top that I got on sale at Lowes for less than $50 for the both of them as they were slightly damaged and I had to rebuild the drawers. I have my machinist vice along with a scroll saw and other misc items stored there. Back in the corner is a home made cabinet that I keep most of my finishing supplies in.

DSCN16652009-01-29-160743.jpg

I have in between the wall bench and the Table Saw I 4x8 assembly table built in a Torsion Box using David Marks plans.

I also have a collection of 6 vintage planes that I have collected mostly from ebay but a couple finds from flea markets. As soon as I get a sharpening system set up so I can get the blades in working order then I will be trying to fine tune my hand work some.

Well I guess thats about it hope everyone enjoyed the tour and I am going to be documenting the build of the Murphy Bed using the plans and hardware that I got from www.wallbed.com

I will put that in the projects forum.

Thanks for looking at my shop.

Any comments or suggestions you want to make will be noted and appreciated.
    And to think it only took me 2 weeks 26 hours and 43 minutes to get that top flat.

nice space Gene. Well thought out.

ps

Great looking shop Gene.......you've got some pretty nice tools too!
    Women are like phones. They love to be held and talked to, but if you press the wrong buttons you'll get disconnected!

Life is one fool thing after another whereas love is two fool things after each other

nice shop gene. Your shop look well equipped shop. best luck for the new project.