Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiple pass raster in Corel

Multiple pass raster in Corel

I am trying to set up a graphic so that when I send it to the laser I will get multiple raster passes. The only way I have found so far is to this is to hit the start button on the printer again. I have tried to put two identical items on top of each other in different colors, with this I only get the output from the top color. I have tried to put the items on different layers, again I only get the top item. My goal is to create a graphic that contains multiple raster passes, and one vector pass. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for all the help in advance.

Dieter

Blog Entries
    If it's a B/W image, make your copy a different color and assign it to a second raster. For example, on my ULS I could make 8 overlaid copies in red, green, blue, etc. and have all of them set to 'raster'. Then I'd get 8 runs of the same image.

If the image is grayscale and/or you're using 3D mode, you'll have to hit the 'go' button a second time.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I would print as raster only, press the start button twice, then print vector only. Would that work?
    Bill Jermyn
    Waterloo Engraving
    Kitchener, ON
    Epilog Legend 32EX 75 Watt, Corel X3, Photograv, Wacom Intuos 3 6X8 graphics tablet

What machine do you have?
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Thanks for all the quick replies.

I have a Universal V-460 with a 50 watt laser, and not too sure which version of the driver (not at that machine right now).

The reason for the request is that I am playing around with 3D and MDF. I have found that the lower power setting give me less char on the edges, but do less to the material. So my thought is to do multiple passes to achieve the results of the higher power settings.

Dieter

Dan,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the multi color idea, and only the top most color prints. I even tried to put each color on different layers, and again only the top most color prints.

Dieter

Hi Dieter,

On print dialogs box set "number of copies" to 2. That should trigger laser for 2 passes.
    epilog mini24 45W laser
    purex indoor air filter
    black&decker compressor
    felix compressor&airbrush

sawgrass sublimation system

Information is valuable only when it's shared.

Best exercise is the race itself-M.Schumacher.

Quote Originally Posted by onur cakir View Post
    On print dialogs box set "number of copies" to 2. That should trigger laser for 2 passes.
    But won't that duplicate the vector cuts as well? He wants multiple raster passes and a single vector.

This sounds like it would be useful to do, I have used the workaround methods on my system but you'd think you could "embed" the 2nd (or 3rd) pass right in the file. On my LaserPro I am not sure if it is possible. . . from what I remember, it seems like it combines all bitmaps into one and "flattens" it to a single pass.

Would be nice if the driver allowed you to enter "number of passes" on a layer by layer basis. Then you would not even have to doctor the file up with overlapping images.

On the ULS, you should be able to just copy it, make it a different color (make sure that color is on the ULS color palette) and then print it. Also, make sure that color is set to Raster and that it's all set right. I've done that numerous times, so I know it'll work. Something simple you're missing, I think. Double check all those settings and make sure the 2nd color is setup right and you should be good to go.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Surely the 3d function works only with greyscale?
    I cant see how assigning it to different colours will result in multiple passes?
    I would run the greyscale and vectors as 2 sep files and just repeat the greyscale till you get the depth
    or
    Run the greyscale with a lot of power , then run a "polishing pass" , which is a pass at much lower power and higher speed to "clean" the char.
    3d is not a great option on lasers.
    One thing i have never tried , but might work , is to run the mdf wet or damp - might reduce char.
    Otherwise perhaps use a brass bristeled cleaning brush on it after to scour off the char?
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

I copy anything that I want repeated on to page 2 , 3 ,etc, then set the laser to autostart.
    I do this on a Xenetech.
    Mike

Thanks for all the great comments.

I tried a little test. On my page I put a circle and a square. The circle I made red and the square I made green. I set my speed and power for both colors and made sure they were both set up as raster. When I hit the start button, the circle prints completely, and then the square prints.

If I take the square and cover the right half of the circle, the left half of the circle prints, and then the square prints.

Looking around in Corel’s help section, I found some information about overprinting. I tried the settings as shown with no luck, the left side of the circle prints, and then the square.

I am eager to find a way to make this work, so keep up the good suggestions.

Dieter

Contact ULS about it. I think you have something set wrong. As mentioned before, I do this from time to time and haven't experienced the issues you are mentioning. I don't have the same model machine as you do, so I can't be sure it's the same, but an email to ULS or a call to them should answer this really quickly.

Blog Entries
    Hmmm, as Steve said, something isn't set up correctly. Even with vector optimization (which should have no effect on raster), the unit should finish with an entire color before moving on to the next.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Dan and Scott,

When a job that contains multi colors is sent to the machine each color is fully printed before the next color starts. The only exception to this is when one color covers part of another color. In this case the lower object is printed as if it stops where the top object starts. Then when the color for the top object starts, that object is fully printed.

Dieter