Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop Tour

Shop Tour

I finally got a chance to take the digital camera out while the shop was clean to get a set of “completed” pictures of my shop. The shop is located in a 30x48x12 pole barn that was already built when we purchased our house last winter. The inside was almost totally unfinished, except for some wiring that the previous owner did, and concrete in the front 32’. The first picture shows an overall view of the barn. Sorry, it was getting dark when I took the pictures. There is a sliding door on the right side at the back that allows access to the back part of the barn, which has a dirt floor. In the future, we may move the large overhead door to where the sliding door is and put a smaller overhead door or double doors on the front with another window or two.

The second picture shows the entrance to the shop. I want to build a small porch over this area in the future to create a little display for my gas pump and shelter the door.

Next, is a view when you enter the door. We put up the wall at the back (towards the right side of the picture) to separate the back part from the front. All of the walls were insulated and covered with OSB. The ceiling is sheet metal like is commonly used on pole barns. It was a quick way to get a good, reflective ceiling and I would do it again.

Stepping towards the back and looking back at the door area, you can see my compressor, electrical panel, and a frost free hydrant the previous owner installed. I wouldn’t have done this, but I’m glad he did. I need to make a small sink that hooks up to it to give me a place to wash my hands or more easily fill a water container.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Right next to the door is my miter saw station and Jet Mini lathe with an extension. The stand is based on plans I found on the net. Yes, the legs are concrete blocks.

Next to the lathe, I have all my mechanics and general tools in a roll around tool box. I have a bench set up for metalwork and sharpening. Notice the air drop. I put in three different drops, including one on a retractable reel over my main bench.

Next, a view of my tablesaw, sliding table, and outfeed table. I love the sliding table, which got its first real use on the fireplace project I just completed. The outfeed table is made from cabinets I purchased at a garage sale covered with a melamine top. I added pull-out trays and drawers inside the cabinets and store most of my portable power tools and nailers in there. This can be seen in the next picture along with my jointer.

Along the back wall, I have my drill press and more tool storage. I need to build a good wooden toolbox so I can get rid of the red one sitting on the small table. My mortiser is on the table behnd the toolbox. You can also kind of see my belt/disc sander and spindle sander in front of the drill press.

Moving along the back wall is my router table and band saw, then around the corner again is my hardware storage and more of the garage sale cabinets with a countertop. You can also see my air conditioner.

Next to the air conditioner is my dust collection, a metal storage cabinet for finishing and gluing supplies. In the front corner, directly across from the door, there is a small room the previous owner built. I cut in a window, and finished the inside as an office.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 07-26-2004 at 10:20 AM.

Finally, sheet good and miscellaneous storage in front of the big overhead door. I’m planning to build some storage for the sheet goods that will store them on the 4’ edge right next to the office, about where the vacuum is sitting. I also need to build storage for all my cutoffs underneath the window with the air conditioner.

In the back of the barn, I have my lumber storage rack, as well as storage for all the lawn care equipment, and my John Deere 60” planer.

Shop's lookin' great, Matt! It's some a long way since the last pics I remember, especially with the DC system fully installed, etc. Is your "gas pump" functional?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

"Next, a view of my tablesaw, sliding table, and outfeed table. I love the sliding table, which got its first real use on the fireplace project I just completed."

I hope you don't mean making firewood for the fireplace

Nice looking shop, much cleaner than mine.

George

Thumbs up

Nice big functional shop. Good tour, thanks.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

That is one awesome shop Matt! Cool how you decorated the walls with the cross-cut saw etc. It makes me more anxious than ever to start on the addition to my shop! Thanks for sharing.

Shelley

Great Shop

Great shop.!
    I just finished a 30 x 40 stick building and looking for ideas on set up and
    purchase of tools for the inside. I am just 90 mi away in Angola, Indiana and sure would like to see it in person after the summer settles down.

Jim, the gas pump is not functional. I wouldn't want to deal with the EPA on that one!

I bought it about 5 years ago and restored it. The lights do work, but I forgot to run wiring before insulating the walls, so it will be a while before it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser
    Jim, the gas pump is not functional. I wouldn't want to deal with the EPA on that one!
    'Could be a nice thing to service the tractor with diesel... One of these days I'm going to do something in that respect as the 5 gallon jugs get "old" after awhile. 'Problem is the minimum purchase for delivery is a bit larger than I'd prefer.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I know what you mean. My wife would probably like it better than the 5 gallon jugs. I usually realize I need fuel after I start mowing and she ends up running to the gas station which is 6 miles away. Then I dump the whole 5 gallons in the tractor and we forget to get more until the next time I'm almost out.

Even with more than one diesel container, you will always "run out" right when it's most inconvenient to run to the station! Other than the minimum delivery problem, keeping larger amounts around for what is essentially a low-use situation can also be problematic relative to fuel conditioning, condensation, etc. The best fuel tank is a full one when it comes to diesel and that's not practical for most of use and our CUTS.

Very nice shop Matt. Looks like you have room to move around in there.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Hmmm - big shop, tall ceilings, level ground access, big door. I'm green with envy when I compare it to smaller shop, low ceilings, in the basement, with a hatchway for access.

Nice shop!

Rob