Thread: Clamping stickered lumber

Clamping stickered lumber

I just got some walnut for a blanket chest that I hope to build (someday). I haven't gotten a meter yet, but suspect it has some more drying to do.

My question is, can I sticker the boards on my workbench and then clamp them down? Thought this would be easier (and maybe more effective) than adding weight to the top of the stack....

Thanks!

If you are in your shop every day this may not be a bad option. The problem with clamps on stickered lumber is that as the lumber dries, the clamps become loose and can allow the wood to move.

Boards will dry better outside. Air movement is needed for drying.

I do that with cabinet door panels if I have several at the end of the day and don't have time to assemble the doors.
    I just stack them together and put a clamp on all 4 corners.

Well, between now and "someday", what are you planning to use for a workbench?
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Ellis View Post
    Boards will dry better outside. Air movement is needed for drying.
    Ross,

That's true only up to a point. After the lumber reaches about 12% MC (moisture content) you will need to bring it inside to continue drying. Outdoor conditions -- temperature and relative humidity -- will not allow lumber to dry past this point.

For more information, you can download the Forest Products Laboratory publication, Drying Hardwood Lumber in PDF format here: http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr118.pdf

Loren
    Baker 3667 portable sawmill. Cook's edger. Cutting my own lumber to build a kiln and a shop. Some woodworking & carpentry experience. Delta Unisaw & radial arm saw.

I see no reason why clamps wouldn't work as long as you add some mechanism to throw there force over a large surface area. Typically lumber air dried out doors where 'weight' has been added involves a lot of weight spread over a large surface area . Clamps are meant to apply concentrated pressure unless cauls are employed. Perhaps clamps at the stickers would work, but I would be inclined to allow the lumber to move a bit and find equilibrium rather than holding it captive.

I am not an expert on air drying wood, so get your salt, but it might be a good time to get that meter and determine the woods moisture so you can develop a strategy for seasoning it for use. If its 30% and its a lot of wood, I wouldn't want it drying in my shop contributing all that moisture to the shop environment. If its a small amount of wood or below 15% MC or so then perhaps shop storage, possibly a small box fan would suit me.