Thread: Crushgrind Mechanisms

Crushgrind Mechanisms

Anyone know where I can get a quantity discount on the Crushgrind pepper mill mechanisms? I've looked here and elsewhere on-line and haven't had any luck. I'm thinking someone big has a monoply and is controlling the prices/distribution. I did find a website that offered quantity discounts but couldn't get a response from the contact so was afraid to order. http://www.allthingspepper.com/ATPNe...mechanisms.php
    Any ideas would be appreciated.

I don't have a catalog handy but Penn State normally offers discounts when you order multiple items. I don't know if they are priced competively though?
    If it ain't broke...fix it anyways...that's why you told your wife you needed all those tools.

My gramps' fav.....If you don't stop, you won't be stuck.

Oh......and most importantly........I am 362 miles mostly south and a little east of Steve Schlumpf.
    Support the Creek
    for only .0164 cents / day

Lee Valley sells them for about $9.-- US I think right now, thats for the ones without a shaft, with a shaft are a bit more expensive.
    Have fun and take care

Craft Supply has quantity discounts on them, just made my first mill today. we are going to make about 10 for Christmas gifts.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...ush_grind?Args=

Thanks guys! Those prices aren't too bad...appreciate the help.

If you look at the pictures of the shaft mechanism of the Lee Valley and the Craft Supply you will see that grind adjusting wheel is different. I've used both, but I like the look of the Lee Valley one better. I have wondered why they are different.

Bob,
    I've noticed differences in both the adjusting wheel and in the diameter of the metal shaft. When I did a batch for christmas presents I used an older (several years) mechanism from Woodcraft and some newer once from the same source. The shaft on the older one was noticably larger in diameter and more substantial. I think it's probably a case of ever increasing economies in the manufacturing process...to me cheapening the product.

9. Brian Howerton of All Things Pepper is the North American distributor for CrushGrind, if memory serves me correctly. He is the source if you are buying in bulk.....In fact, he used to post here from time to time.

If you aren't grinding salt, consider the Chef Specialties mechanisms.....These may be the mechanisms that are being discussed in the above posts. The diameter of the mechanism has changed slightly....From 1 1/16 - 1 inch diameter...Still quality stuff though.

Call Chef Specialties directly.

BTW.....The shaftless CrushGrind is a PIA to install. You have to make a blind cut to seat the tangs...If it isn't perfect, (....and you'll only have one shot...no test fit) you'll have a sloppy fitting upper and lower housing causing the upper drive of the CG housing to slip, which equals no grinding action....Then you'll have to either glue or pin the mechanism into place.