Thread: q: verticle plywood storage on long edge

q: verticle plywood storage on long edge

Most of the verticle recommendations ive seen show the 4x8 accomidated narow side down. My ceiling is slightly under 8' and the garage door rail would make it impossible anyway...

I was thinking of putting on the long edge with the 41" triton racks for lumber above it. I was thinking i could possibly put a slight taper on 2x4s bolt to the wall to insure they were only slanted a couple of degrees to avoid warpage?

Is this as ok an idea as the verticle? Should i use some caul meacanims to pull them into the wall to insure no warp in either direction?

thx
    -brad

ply storage

That's exactly how I store my ply. Works great for me. Be sure you keep all sheets "kicked up tight" to each other.

Blog Entries
    If it is an outside wall, make sure you consider allowing air to circulate between the wall and the plywood. Stacking plywood against a damp, hot or cold wall will lead to problems.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I slid 8ft sheet between the garage rail and wall for several years. Now I store them on the long edge near the garage entrance. An adjustable strap holds them vertical.

As others have mentioned, protect the sheets from water and humidity changes. Insulate the walls and install a vapor barrier if it's not too late. The walls see lots of air infiltration and sudden temperature changes. Both can make the plywood move.

Protect the plywood from concrete floor moisture as well. I lined the wall perimeter with an 18" projection of 3/4" insulation board and a 1/4" hardboard cover. It keeps water from diffusing into the edges and I can lean wood against the wall without worry. Plywood slides easily on the slick hardboard surface. This is a feature, not a bug.

Checkout this thread with pics of exactly what you're referring to.
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

I flip mine every couple weeks to keep the weight distribution even.

Jeff you are the man!!!!!!

Jeff - wow that was a lot of fun... And i have some floor space again... thank you all

I stored 5 sheets of ply over the winter

in my garage with no ill effects. I just clamped all 4 corners and 1 clamp in the center of the 8' edge. Put 'em up on stickers to keep 'em off the floor and the 3/4" was perfect. I had 1 sheet of 3/8" birch in the middle that is bowed some but it's 3 ply so I suspect that has something to do with it.

Curt

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Ridgway View Post
    Jeff - wow that was a lot of fun... And i have some floor space again... thank you all
    Don't think you can post that and no pics and get away with it!
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.