Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dedicated radial arm saw to do dadoes?

Quote Originally Posted by Jules Dominguez View Post
    I don't know if you can get a dado set with negative hook angles, but if not it could be hard to control on a "crosscut" dado unless you took multiple light cuts.

I don't know about the others, but my Freud SD 508 has a -12° hook angle making the cross cut dados fairly smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Saunders View Post
    The only time I ever had a problem with cutting dados on a RAS was using one of those 7 finger dial a groove dado blades. Snapped the board and threw it behind me all in one motion. I never had any problems with a regular stack dado being "grabby"
    That has been my experience as well, with out the board snapping.
    I long for the days when Coke was a cola, and a joint was a bad place to be. (Merle Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Saunders View Post
    The only time I ever had a problem with cutting dados on a RAS was using one of those 7 finger dial a groove dado blades. Snapped the board and threw it behind me all in one motion. I never had any problems with a regular stack dado being "grabby"
    I had a cmt stacked set with my radial arn when notchin some oak 4x4s it caught damaged the dado blades trashed the wood and bruised the heck out of my fingers of course this happened on the last 4x4. scared me so much the radial arm saw has been removed from my shop. I miss at times but I can do most of my rough cutting with a 8" skillsaw

3. Well about the idea of a Dedicated Dado Machine:
    The lumber you process or purchase will have different dimensions. So you will still have to set it up each time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Jules, I had an "Electronic Craftsman" 10" early 90's RAS and it did crosscut Dados just fine with a Freud SD208. You should give it a try. I am sure a good saw will do it MUCH better than that one.
    Yeah, Mike, I just went down to my shop and looked at my dado set and the blades do have a negative hook. They're probably all made that way - it makes sense. That would alleviated my concern on the crosscut dados, but not on rip dados.
    I'll stick with my TS for dados, though. The only real nuisance with it is changing out the brake cartridge on the Sawstop and it cuts so sweet and smooth it's worth it to me.
    My RAS is also a 10" Craftsman, several years older than yours, and it was such a PITA to get and keep everything aligned that I only use it for crosscuts that are too long to be handy on the TS, mostly rough 8 and 10 ft. boards.